Sidemount and helmets in open water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

turning with my hands does not appeal to me at all lol. I just helicopter turn everywhere - it's super fun.

Oh and it's not a helmet - it's a professional gopro hands free platform! suitable for all diving locations!

Oh and it's not a helmet - it's a professional gopro hands free platform! suitable for all diving locations!
Good point.
I cannot claim that myself however, first of all I dislike to frequently get videos of walls, floor or ceiling when the camera gets dislocated, second I always get it stuck on something and the position is awkward then.

Here is an example of 'real life' cable routing with the helmet mounted light head.
The head is twisted around itself twice, so the cable spirals down the side of my head and neck, but still above the long hose.
12898220_1553587474934131_4194493210705446272_o.jpg

12322873_1553587498267462_6176565333880737394_o.jpg

12885749_1553587464934132_1786347717391734618_o.jpg

12888556_1553587364934142_2560640245455110305_o.jpg

Last edited:
Here is an example of 'real life' cable routing with the helmet mounted light head.
The head is twisted around itself twice, so the cable spirals down the side of my head and neck, but still above the long hose.
12898220_1553587474934131_4194493210705446272_o.jpg

12322873_1553587498267462_6176565333880737394_o.jpg

12885749_1553587464934132_1786347717391734618_o.jpg

12888556_1553587364934142_2560640245455110305_o.jpg

Uhh mmm ... why is it stick up in the air? Just curious.

Disregard that my light is permanently attached. The point is that it is horizontal. I carry 2 canisters and the other one is on a handle.

I would probably be dead if I had my light mounted like yours.

20160329_142114.jpg

I don't have a buddy to blind so I can keep mine facing forward and it's fine.

Cool helmet BTW.

Cool helmet BTW.
Thanks.

Uhh mmm ... why is it stick up in the air? Just curious.
The attachment can be rotated.
That angle is the 'I do not want to blind my buddy position' :wink:
In a restriction or any overhead situation you would not point it downward that way, in open water it helps a lot to be able to do so.
Water on that dive was so brightly illuminated the canister-light was useless most of the time and I primarily used a hand-held video light.

Disregard that my light is permanently attached. The point is that it is horizontal.
I had the lights pointed downward at a 10 or 15 degree angle, avoids blinding buddys and animals and directs the light more towards the hands.
Now that I have the rotating and removable attachment I mostly turn the main light slightly upwards in overhead (I do not mean caves here!!) situations, forward when in front of the group, downward the rest of the time and rarely use the single backup left on the helmet at all.

I carry 2 canisters and the other one is on a handle.
Could not afford that config :wink:

I would probably be dead if I had my light mounted like yours.
Likewise, my buddys would kill me, I am a nuisance as it is :wink:

To be honest it is more important to me to be able to look at a pike directly without the light pointing at it.

And I am quite sure the config is 'save' anywhere, as the light (and cable) can be turned to the angle optimal for any situation.
Went through an airplane (a 767, I think) front window the other day without the cable even touching.

In many restrictions that would be more familiar to a cave diver I imagine I would remove the light from the helmet anyway.
2000 lumen hitting a wall directly in front of your face is painful and useless.

I don't have a buddy to blind so I can keep mine facing forward and it's fine.
I rarely dive solo nowadays.
My first helmets where purely for solo diving with the lights pointed directly forward.
But as i said animals are a more important factor for the downward angle than humans.
It is hard to point a camera where you are not looking and the bright spots of the helmet lights often ruin pictures and vids.

Thanks.

The attachment can be rotated.
That angle is the 'I do not want to blind my buddy position' :wink:
In a restriction or any overhead situation you would not point it downward that way, in open water it helps a lot to be able to do so.
Water on that dive was so brightly illuminated the canister-light was useless most of the time and I primarily used a hand-held video light.

I had the lights pointed downward at a 10 or 15 degree angle, avoids blinding buddys and animals and directs the light more towards the hands.
Now that I have the rotating and removable attachment I mostly turn the main light slightly upwards in overhead (I do not mean caves here!!) situations, forward when in front of the group, downward the rest of the time and rarely use the single backup left on the helmet at all.

Could not afford that config :wink:

Likewise, my buddys would kill me, I am a nuisance as it is :wink:

To be honest it is more important to me to be able to look at a pike directly without the light pointing at it.

And I am quite sure the config is 'save' anywhere, as the light (and cable) can be turned to the angle optimal for any situation.
Went through an airplane (a 767, I think) front window the other day without the cable even touching.

In many restrictions that would be more familiar to a cave diver I imagine I would remove the light from the helmet anyway.
2000 lumen hitting a wall directly in front of your face is painful and useless.

I rarely dive solo nowadays.
My first helmets where purely for solo diving with the lights pointed directly forward.
But as i said animals are a more important factor for the downward angle than humans.
It is hard to point a camera where you are not looking and the bright spots of the helmet lights often ruin pictures and vids.

Oh ok - all of those points make sense to me! I didn't notice that it could rotate - that's cool! I may look into getting a mount that rotates.

I dive OW Sidemount and wear a helmet on every dive, reason being I have my Gopro mounted on the helmet and film every dive...I also have a light mounted on each side which is nice if I'm filming into a dark spot...I turn the camera on, jump in and do my thing and shut if off when I'm back on the boat, edit it when I'm home....you'd be surprised how much you miss but the camera picks up

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom