Si Tech Quick Neck Seal/Ring - Is it Comfortable???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are actually several different versions of the sitech replaceable neck seal system. There are also some changes in the cross-sectional profile of at least one of the versions. The original was quite stiff, but the newer versions have come a long way. So some of the comments that you may see probably refer to a particular iteration of a particular version and may not be applicable to all the variations of the system.
The newer one being the "castellated" design -- believe the older stiffer version wasn't castellated.

When I got my drysuit I got rings on the wrists and neck, for rapid replacement of seals. If I went on dive trips far away, I'd probably see more of a point of having the quick changes, with extra seals. But I dive local, or at least in the western US. The wrist rings are endlessly annoying because they catch on the BC and they make wearing a light and computer more difficult. But that's not what you're asking. The neck ring makes it hard to drop my mask down around my neck, because it sort of blocks it. That's my own thing, and if I were more of a manly man I'd put my mask up on my forehead backward. But if I had to do it all over again I'd probably skip the quick change and just go with straight seals.

A tip for those who install these. Take and hang up on a heavy duty hanger with a piece of cardboard over the top to simulate your shoulder arch. I then hung mine up and added just a bit of heat to allow the circle to bend into a more natural shape. I let it stay like this for a few days in my closet. This helped me not have it pulling up on the edges in the front and back and lays flat on my body. I am tall and have wide shoulders so do not have an interference with the seal and my harness.

I notice it when I'm taking the suit off or putting it on but it's nothing. It's also a convenient "handle" for removing the neck seal over your head.

I dive in relatively remote areas and on two occasions, I have torn silicon neck seals. It's literally a three minute job to replace it. I am able to glue a new seal in as well (as in, I have the skills and experience) but you're looking at missing a day's diving waiting for the glue to dry, and that's assuming the suit is dry when you start. It it isn't, you're losing two days minimum.

I highly recommend, especially if you're travelling with your drysuit.

Those that are saying its comfortable:

what is you build??
Are you diving it with sidemount harness??
Lastly how much undergarments are you wearing??
5'10", 200#
Diving BM doubles normally
400 wt undies

My Missus wanted to put one in her new suit a couple of years ago, but she's a weenie little thing, (5'3", 100#) and her Bare suit had seams that interfered with the ring placement so it couldn't be done.

Back
Top Bottom