SI Tech QCS Oval

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevin Floyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Anyone using this system? Thoughts?

I’m looking at having it installed on my new suit.

What is the 'new suit'? If it's a Santi, go for their Smart Seals/Gloves - that's the best system out there (IMHO).

Are you planning to use dry gloves?

If so, there are much better solutions than the SiTech Antares which fit directly to the SiTech QCS, although the system will allow other dry gloves to be used by ditching the stiff oval ring - Waterproof Ultima and Fourth Element Ellipse will both work.

If not, it's a perfectly adequate system which will allow you change your wrist seals yourself.

The Si-Tech QCS oval system is a great system. There are quite a few of us on SB diving with the system.

I think @laikabear is/was using the Santi system mentioned above. She may have some insight as to how good it is and how versatile it is in terms of pairing it up with dry gloves. I recall it being more limited on what gloves can be used with the system, but they would be a much more authoritative source on the subject as I have no direct experience with Santi's products.

I agree with @nickbutcher that there are much better systems than the Si-Tech Antares dry glove system. My recommendation is the Waterproof Ultima DGS but I also have experience with the Fourth Element Ellipse and the Si-tech Virgo...all 3 will get the job done but the Ultima DGS is my pref.

My suit (Aqualung Fusion Bullet) came with the Si-tech oval cuff system pre-installed but I liked it so much that we ordered my wife's made-to-measure drysuit with it as well.

Ultima Dry Glove System question

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. There is also this thread which has lots of info on the Ultima DGS, Si-tech oval system, SHOWA gloves, etc:

-Z

I use the oval rings, have for several years and have gone back to the Antaries dry glove system after trying a few others having the best luck with the Virgo. The thing with the Virgo is the size of the ring can get in the way suiting up but on a dive no notice for the most part. The QCS rings and Antaries have been working perfectly once I went back to it and added index marks to make sure they are aligned properly so they lock, these are the most compact in my experience.

I have 2 drysuits, one is a Santi using the Santi system (I don't think from seeing your other thread you were considering a Santi) and the other suit I have had the QCS Oval system installed. I got the Waterproof Ultima dryglove system and installed it in the QCS system (you can only do that with the Oval).

You can mount "any" drygloves on both systems, although the thicker nitrile lined type gloves are harder to mount than latex dishwashing type gloves. I like the Ultima system and would recommend that. (I also like the Santi but it's only available on Santi suits). If you are looking at the QCS ovals and putting the Ultima system on there, I would check out that thread linked above by Zef. It has everything you could ever want to know and probably lots of stuff you didn't want to know, too. :)

But back to your drysuit, you DO want to get user-changeable wrist seals regardless of whether you intend to use drygloves or not.

I had a non-user replaceable latex neck seal in my Santi which lasted about 2.5 yrs, but when I had to replace it, I got the Si Tech Quick Neck, which is working out well for me (both my drysuits have that). So personally I'd go for replaceable in both, but at a minimum get replaceable wrist seals.

I found that my wrist seals channel water due to my wrist tendons, so I always wear dry gloves now.

Another drysuit to consider that is made-to-measure, and more of a bargain type suit is the Seaskin Nova (out of the UK). There are a few threads on SB about them. I am not 100% in love with mine like I am the Santi, but I know a few others who have one and rave about it. Mine was about $1100 with custom everything. (Thanks Brexit). In contrast, the Santi is more like $3500 with similar options. One thing to be aware of is a long lead time with the Seaskin, 3 mos. IDK how long the lead time is with the Deep 6. I do really like the Seaskin undergarment options and they were made to measure and very cheap.

I had some issues with my (relatively new) Seaskin and it has been leaking, but I think with swapping out the dump valve recently I may have finally gotten it dry. It is a nice quality suit other than the few issues I've had. My buddy on the other hand is madly in love with his Seaskin and has had no problems. Jerk.

PS, if you're strongly considering Fundies (which is a great idea!), then I really, really recommend talking to the instructor before buying any gear. They may not approve of something for a reason you don't anticipate. Just trust me. I think you should be okay with a trilaminate drysuit, but I'd still try to talk to a GUE instructor before you invest in gear.

I think @laikabear is/was using the Santi system mentioned above.
You rang? :wink:

Reactions: Zef
I have 2 drysuits, one is a Santi using the Santi system (I don't think from seeing your other thread you were considering a Santi) and the other suit I have had the QCS Oval system installed. I got the Waterproof Ultima dryglove system and installed it in the QCS system (you can only do that with the Oval).

You can mount "any" drygloves on both systems, although the thicker nitrile lined type gloves are harder to mount than latex dishwashing type gloves. I like the Ultima system and would recommend that. (I also like the Santi but it's only available on Santi suits). If you are looking at the QCS ovals and putting the Ultima system on there, I would check out that thread linked above by Zef. It has everything you could ever want to know and probably lots of stuff you didn't want to know, too. :)

But back to your drysuit, you DO want to get user-changeable wrist seals regardless of whether you intend to use drygloves or not.

I had a non-user replaceable latex neck seal in my Santi which lasted about 2.5 yrs, but when I had to replace it, I got the Si Tech Quick Neck, which is working out well for me (both my drysuits have that). So personally I'd go for replaceable in both, but at a minimum get replaceable wrist seals.

I found that my wrist seals channel water due to my wrist tendons, so I always wear dry gloves now.

Another drysuit to consider that is made-to-measure, and more of a bargain type suit is the Seaskin Nova (out of the UK). There are a few threads on SB about them. I am not 100% in love with mine like I am the Santi, but I know a few others who have one and rave about it. Mine was about $1100 with custom everything. (Thanks Brexit). In contrast, the Santi is more like $3500 with similar options. One thing to be aware of is a long lead time with the Seaskin, 3 mos. IDK how long the lead time is with the Deep 6. I do really like the Seaskin undergarment options and they were made to measure and very cheap.

I had some issues with my (relatively new) Seaskin and it has been leaking, but I think with swapping out the dump valve recently I may have finally gotten it dry. It is a nice quality suit other than the few issues I've had. My buddy on the other hand is madly in love with his Seaskin and has had no problems. Jerk.

PS, if you're strongly considering Fundies (which is a great idea!), then I really, really recommend talking to the instructor before buying any gear. They may not approve of something for a reason you don't anticipate. Just trust me. I think you should be okay with a trilaminate drysuit, but I'd still try to talk to a GUE instructor before you invest in gear.

You rang? :wink:

Thanks for all the good info. I’m thinking about a made to measure from Deep 6, they have the SI Tech seals as an optional addition.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom