SI Tech Dryglove Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZzzKing

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I just got a set of the SI Tech rings and drygloves. (YES!) I was monkeying around with them yesterday and they seem to work really well. The thing I have a question about is the connections at the gloves and the seals. They are pretty much just a friction fit, although a tight fit. Seems they would unseat if tugged on very hard. Has anyone had problems with this?

I have the same set and adjust them very short to get a good tight fit so the gloves do not feel like they are just bags on my hands. The friction fit works great and I have not had an issue yet.

I just got a set of the SI Tech rings and drygloves. (YES!) I was monkeying around with them yesterday and they seem to work really well. The thing I have a question about is the connections at the gloves and the seals. They are pretty much just a friction fit, although a tight fit. Seems they would unseat if tugged on very hard. Has anyone had problems with this?
If you're talking about the little blue or black rings that hold the gloves in the coupler... yup, I have seen them come apart as divers are suiting up and pushing their hands in. It's happened to me. In fact, some of us put a layer of electrical tape around those little rings to make them just a little more snug, so they don't come out.

If you're talking about the little blue or black rings that hold the gloves in the coupler... yup, I have seen them come apart as divers are suiting up and pushing their hands in. It's happened to me. In fact, some of us put a layer of electrical tape around those little rings to make them just a little more snug, so they don't come out.

Thanks for the tip! I'll remember to throw a roll in the dive box just in case.

I tried them for the first time yesterday and loved them. They changed their design a while back and put the twist ring on to facilitate taking the gloves off which makes them much better.

Steve

Ya I had one pop off a couple of winters ago. Learned something DON"T LUBE THE O-RINGS. Get the o-rings wet.
I lick mine that seems to work for me.

Yep, the instructions tell you not to lube them...man rule #1,234...men never need to read instructions...LOL

Steve

Yep, the instructions tell you not to lube them...man rule #1,234...men never need to read instructions...LOL

Steve

How true. I think it's next to the one saying, I don't need a stinking map!:bonk::bonk:
I've been assembling other divers gloves for a while.
I bought a set and had problems (after about 8 months) with the o-ring rolling when assembled. Licking them at 5 degrees, 35 knot winds :shakehead: didn't seem like a good choice. Lubing
them (then wiping it all off) wasn't a good choice ether.
Cold wet hands suck!
Dive Prince William Sound, AK.
Terry

How true. I think it's next to the one saying, I don't need a stinking map!:bonk::bonk:
I've been assembling other divers gloves for a while.
I bought a set and had problems (after about 8 months) with the o-ring rolling when assembled. Licking them at 5 degrees, 35 knot winds :shakehead: didn't seem like a good choice. Lubing
them (then wiping it all off) wasn't a good choice ether.
Cold wet hands suck!
Dive Prince William Sound, AK.
Terry
Actually, I do lube mine. I put just the tiny-est bit (and I'm talking, just a mer smudge) of silicone on the O rings about once every six months, and I never have to lick them or any of that buffoonery, and they go on and off smoothly without being too slick and popping off.

The instruction says that the rings must be lubricated by nothing but paraffin wax. If you use something like silicone, the rings may get apart as soon as they get wet since they are too much lubricating. If you do not use even paraffin, you cannot insert the inner ring to the right posision and then your hands get wet as soon as you get into water. When you use too much paraffin, your hands also get wet as paraffin flake breaks watertight seal. You must always apply paraffin sparlingly. For assembling cuffs/rings and gloves/rings, talc powder may be used but it is not essential.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom