Show us your SeaLife shots!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My DC 310 has a white balance. Don;t know why yours didn't. Maybe the older ones didn't have all the controls on the outside like they do now...

DC310's do not have a manual white balance.
It does have pre-sets for different lighting conditions which affect the white balance only slightly. (cloudy, flourescent, ect...)
These setting were not intended for underwater photography and the firmware does little to improve the situation. These cameras have great difficulty in interpretting white in almost all conditions.

I'd be interested in seeing someones photos (unaltered) from the DC310 that contain brite white outside of the flash range.

I'm a very amateur diver and I got my first chance to try underwater photography this summer on a holiday in Australia. My camera? A fixed focus cheap camera that cost me £20 ($40ish) off Amazon! These are on the Barrier Reef at a depth of 8-18m. So first go with bad camera:

x06_07KeppelSeasnake.jpg

My particular favourite as I had never seen a sea snake before :D

x06_08Gregdivefish22.jpg

x06_08Gregdivefish11.jpg

Again, first ever go on a fairly bad camera but hey I thought I'd volunteer these anyway :)

Completely addicted to it :D

BTW sorry for dodgy image sizes :< I had to edit them so I could load them onto the net and the editing messed up sizes.

Understand completely...I thought they looked fine.

Nice shots people. Something I did notice about the DC500 shots on here though is that (much like my own attempts) they do tend to have a bit washed out colors. As a habit I'm now batch-adjusting saturation levels 10-20% in Photoshop on all the DC500 work and they turn out a tad bit "fresher".

I also noticed, being a novice photographer like myself, you absolutely need to get the amount of flash right for good colors. Too little and there will be hardly any contrast, the pic will look washed out. If you overflash you most likely kill the color balance. I find myself fiddling with the flash knob alot during dives. Still trying to improve.

Here's some fo the stuff I've been shooting on a liveaboard last month: http://www.flickr.com/photos/22001832@N00/sets/72157594257559686/

Simon, those are some nice photos. Looks like you had a great trip. Seems like that area is full of fish. I can't wait to do my first liveaboard. Hopefully next year. I'm still easing my wife into the concept. :D

Here are a few photos from my Sept. 9-12 West Palm Beach diving trip. It was the first time I used my new digital strobe (learning curve). The last two days of diving (especially the last day) were very surgy, so photography was difficult, at best. The goliath groupers, while I didn't get a great photo, were outstanding. The last day we dove a wreck that had a group of 15-20 of them and they were amazing. To hear them "bark" is truly very cool. Anyway, here goes:

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0023-1.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom