Question Need decent mid-range coverage; thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to say, depending upon the amount of cropping needed, (I think) it is better to crop a wider angle close up shot than to back further away with a longer focal length lens and not crop.

Agreed, and thats what has me still keeping to the wider side of things, but still wanting to move a notch or so closer to the mids; ie not committing to a full 12-40 working range, but something like 7-14. I consider it to be less about ‘reach’ and more about being able to crop the image optically, where getting a few feat closer with the 8mm fe isn’t feasible, so that I have more IQ headroom to work with when cropping digitally. At the same time I want to be able to capitalize on those moments where a wider scene presents itself, and/or the subject lets me get ultra close.

Agreed, and thats what has me still keeping to the wider side of things, but still wanting to move a notch or so closer to the mids; ie not committing to a full 12-40 working range, but something like 7-14. I consider it to be less about ‘reach’ and more about being able to crop the image optically, where getting a few feat closer with the 8mm fe isn’t feasible, so that I have more IQ headroom to work with when cropping digitally. At the same time I want to be able to capitalize on those moments where a wider scene presents itself, and/or the subject lets me get ultra close.
I understand. Just keep in mind, which you know of course already, even a little further distance away requires huge jumps in strobe power and allows more stuff in between your lens port and the subject.

Back
Top Bottom