Should octos be yellow?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I actually have the same question for my setup, but I come from the opposite side, somehow.

I got the DR OW Package, and the Octo, short hose with bungee around my neck, has a yellow face cover. Now, I was wondering for what reason the octopus in this setup got the yellow face plate. If it is an indication for the other diver which one he will receive (or would grab instinctively), shouldn't the primary be yellow?

I mean, if a panicked diver will remember what I told him, that I donate the primary, it doesn't matter. If a panicked diver will go for what I have in my mouth, it doesn't matter. Only for the type of diver who instinctively grabs the yellow stuff, then it matters, right?

I could simply exchange the face covers I have now, but would that again confuse other divers, when they see me diving around with what looks like the octopus in my mouth?

what difference does that make?

Other option I am thinking about is getting a second black face cover, they are not that expensive, after all.

Or should I stop wondering and just keep on diving?

I'd say :D

I mean, if a panicked diver will remember what I told him, that I donate the primary, it doesn't matter. If a panicked diver will go for what I have in my mouth, it doesn't matter. Only for the type of diver who instinctively grabs the yellow stuff, then it matters, right?

You donate the primary, so the OOA diver doesn't have a choice in the matter. He/she doesn't need to remember.

Now if you let them choose then you might have a problem.
So.....don't give them any moment to choose. Give them air.

My octopus is red ... and lives in a beer bottle ...

IMG_2653.jpg

... but if you come to me looking for air donation, it won't matter what color my regulators are ... you'll be taking the one I'm offering you. You won't have to look for it ... it'll be the most visible piece of gear I own, since it'll be sitting at the end of my right arm, inches from your face ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I could simply exchange the face covers I have now, but would that again confuse other divers, when they see me diving around with what looks like the octopus in my mouth?

That is exactly how I found the "by the book" divers reacted:

When I first moved to the Hogarthian configuration, I put the yellow octo cover on my primary under the assumption that such a random OOG diver as in your example would look for yellow. Then every PADI/SSI/SDI diver I came across gave me stern instruction that I shouldn't be breathing from my octo for God's sake! At which point I replaced my yellow cover with black cover, and learned to stop worrying and love the long hose configuration.

Too close to what they had been taught, without being exactly what they had been taught? Who knows? :idk:

Other option I am thinking about is getting a second black face cover, they are not that expensive, after all.
That's what I did.

Or should I stop wondering and just keep on diving?
This.

Yellow is one of the first colors to be filtered at depth anyways. Just leave it black and make sure OOG situation is covered in your predive brief.

I believe most yellow goes by 40 feet with great vis however the point was the yellow paint is not needed if OOG is discussed prior to the dive.

I took this photo at 42 metres (138 feet):

WellyE-boat.jpg

When I first moved to the Hogarthian configuration, I put the yellow octo cover on my primary under the assumption that such a random OOG diver as in your example would look for yellow. Then every PADI/SSI/SDI diver I came across gave me stern instruction that I shouldn't be breathing from my octo for God's sake! At which point I replaced my yellow cover with black cover, and learned to stop worrying and love the long hose configuration.

I'd tell them to mind their own business.

The general idea of the yellow hose is that it is high contrast against your BC. In an out-of-air situation, you're wanting to ensure your dive buddy knows exactly where that alternate regulator is located - otherwise they're taking the one in your mouth (people in a panic mode do odd things....).

They make external "wrap-arounds" that go on your existing hose (and quite inexpensive).

In my opinion, your buddies would probably prefer to find the yellow hose....

As a solo diver, I stopped diving with an octo and rely instead on a totally redundant pony. Must admit if a panicked diver grabbed my second stage, I'd be in a bit of a fix since I'd have to turn my air on and grab the pony's second stage. That's why I try to stay away from other divers so they won't be tempted.

Ditto. I dive several configurations but the one I like best for simple dives, and find most functional (for me) is a short primary and a slung pony (however mine is valve on). If you need an octo I'll offer the pony reg and tell any dive partner I'm with that. Most of our group use ponies so that isn't an odd concept and many of my buddies are used to me diving something odd as a primary so I think they are glad I suggest the somewhat commonplace pony.

I was in an OOA situation in my 15th dive. Way back. Have thought about it a lot over the years because the fright contributed to a 15 year diving break, but I re certified this year and am loving slowly building my confidence and experience.

The dive involved faulty rented gear showing a 1/3 full tank but with no air actually left in the tank (I read the earlier poster suggesting OOA situations result invariably from divers not monitoring their gauges- not necessarily), and an experienced buddy that was reluctant to end his dive when I signalled I needed to, and persuaded me to stay down a little longer than I should've, and then he had a free flowing octo when I swam back down the ascent line signalling OOA while still 50 ft down, and in my fright I thought it had come off its hose.

The thing I remember vividly as I descended OOA - yellow. Get the yellow. Look for the yellow hose, the yellow reg, the yellow thing - recently trained, I knew the yellow reg was 'mine' in this situation. Even in the free flow, by which time I was really OOA and frightened, it didn't cross my mind to grab his reg - as it happens, he handed it to me, and I breathed while we retrieved the octo and stopped the free flow, and ascended together fine.

My key point - I was a newbie, inexperienced, ignorant and frightened - and the yellow signal was very very clear in my mind when OOA...

Biddy

I was in an OOA situation in my 15th dive.
~when I swam back down the ascent line signalling OOA while still 50 ft down, and in my fright I thought it had come off its hose.

The thing I remember vividly as I descended OOA - yellow. Get the yellow. Look for the yellow hose, the yellow reg, the yellow thing - recently trained, I knew the yellow reg was 'mine' in this situation. Even in the free flow, by which time I was really OOA and frightened, it didn't cross my mind to grab his reg - as it happens, he handed it to me, and I breathed while we retrieved the octo and stopped the free flow, and ascended together fine.

My key point - I was a newbie, inexperienced, ignorant and frightened - and the yellow signal was very very clear in my mind when OOA...

Biddy

Where's beanojones when you need him?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom