Used ScubaPro Regs and S600 Converting to Octo Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive an ocean reef FFM (or I should say I used to, as I'm moving away from it). Anyway, just chiming in on your comment about scratches and protection. There is a plastic cover that should have come with the mask. It's very effective at preventing the exterior of the mask from scratches. It's a total pain to reinstall the cover when you've got the comm attached, but they do both fit simultaneously.

Also, the little black and clear piece of plastic that the comm unit uses to attach onto is crap. You can get replacements for under $10.00 (I've paid that both at the LDS and online). I usually bring extras with me if I go on a week long dive trip. It's very easy to replace the part yourself. I considered having a replacement machined out of aluminum before I decided to go back to a standard mask and reg.

Coincidentally, I also use mk25/s600.

I bought a pelican air case with foam for traveling with the ocean reef mask. The case will fit your first stage, hoses, two masks and comms unit securely. Putting a $1,000 FFM into a soft cloth bag for travel seems like a terrible idea to me.

I dive an ocean reef FFM (or I should say I used to, as I'm moving away from it). Anyway, just chiming in on your comment about scratches and protection. There is a plastic cover that should have come with the mask. It's very effective at preventing the exterior of the mask from scratches. It's a total pain to reinstall the cover when you've got the comm attached, but they do both fit simultaneously.

Also, the little black and clear piece of plastic that the comm unit uses to attach onto is crap. You can get replacements for under $10.00 (I've paid that both at the LDS and online). I usually bring extras with me if I go on a week long dive trip. It's very easy to replace the part yourself. I considered having a replacement machined out of aluminum before I decided to go back to a standard mask and reg.

Coincidentally, I also use mk25/s600.

I bought a pelican air case with foam for traveling with the ocean reef mask. The case will fit your first stage, hoses, two masks and comms unit securely. Putting a $1,000 FFM into a soft cloth bag for travel seems like a terrible idea to me.
@kelemvor
Sounds like you have had your mask for a few years. That plastic snap-on shield is discontinued, nothing replaced it. There is an “extender” accessory that greatly improved the yellow comm attachment, and facilitates other attachments such as light, camera, etc. Also, you will notice that the slot on the back of the comm unit might just fit the rubber strap eliminating the need for any other connector, if you find that a comfortable fit. Now, OR would never advise that... my understanding is that would be a patent infringement. Funny how it fits the strap though...

@kelemovor Lol, this so weird how similar our gear is... The plastic piece that you're talking about I'll look for it, but I did not remember seeing it. I also have a Pelican Air!

@JackD342 I agree about the comms bracket. The comms happens to sit perfectly on my mask strap at the moment =D . It's not awfully uncomfortable, but I do notice it. I'm getting an extender kit to mount my gopro and lights. So the comms mount will be much easier to deal with.

@diversteve Yeah I thought about that. Ended up with a MiFlex Green Hose. I like the MiFlex Hoses much more than the rubber hoses.

Green in my era signaled Nitrox clean. I was diving when "voodoo gas" was a new thing.

Keep it though as it's obvious.

@kelemovor Lol, this so weird how similar our gear is... The plastic piece that you're talking about I'll look for it, but I did not remember seeing it. I also have a Pelican Air!

@JackD342 I agree about the comms bracket. The comms happens to sit perfectly on my mask strap at the moment =D . It's not awfully uncomfortable, but I do notice it. I'm getting an extender kit to mount my gopro and lights. So the comms mount will be much easier to deal with.

@diversteve Yeah I thought about that. Ended up with a MiFlex Green Hose. I like the MiFlex Hoses much more than the rubber hoses.
That plastic shield was a brittle snap-on piece that has not been included for at least a year, maybe two.

Back
Top Bottom