Yellow hoses and Yellow regulator Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To the OP's original question. Your decision on whether to try to make your primary regs & hoses yellow may be limited by available gear.

I switched to primary donate, (a "streamlined" set up) - about 3-4 years ago. I could not find a yellow cover for my primary reg, so it remains black. I did find a black cover for my secondary, so I switched it out - dont want anyone seeing a yellow reg necklaced under my chin and trying to grab it.

I was able to get a yellow 40' miflex hose for my primary reg. I'd prefer a 48' for my streamlined setup, but I cant find yellow miflex in long sizes other than 40' and 84'. Im fine w/ 40', although sometimes feels a little short, pully. If I was taller or bigger, I would be in a real quandary.

OP, you may not be able to find a 60" yellow miflex hose (EDIT - see below post, looks like you can find a rubber 60" hose in yellow) (Pirahna could make their hose selection more user friendly)

I urge miflex hose manufacturers to offer 48' (and I guess 60') yellow options.

I understand alot of folks say that the color doesnt matter to an OOA diver, but Im willing to do anything within reason to make things easier for them. Hence my black necklaced reg, and my yellow hose for the donated primary.

OP, you may not be able to find a 5 foot yellow hose (miflex or rubber), so the choice may be made for you. It may need to be black.

I urge miflex hose manufacturers to offer 48' (and I guess 60') yellow options.

I understand alot of folks say that the color doesnt matter to an OOA diver, but Im willing to do anything within reason to make things easier for them. Hence my black necklaced reg, and my yellow hose for the donated primary.

While it is not miflex - or Piranha's ultraflex, they do make a nice rubber 60" yellow hose:
60" LP Rubber Hose Yellow , Piranha Dive Shop | (piranhadivemfg.com)
and a 44" (not 48") yellow hose:
44" LP Hose Yellow , Piranha Dive Shop | (piranhadivemfg.com)
But I've tried their ultraflex and heard negatives here on SB about miflex for the long hose. I would step out and say most use a standard rubber hose for the primary rather than the miflex due to how it *routes around the head.

edit * how the hose hangs/floats around the head

To clarify:

Primary donate

1. Buddy breathing, only one second stage so the donor needs it back.

2. Alternate second/inflator combination, alternate too short and and has another use

3. Tech/streamlined rig, bungeed backup to short to donate.

Secondary donate

1. Traditional two seconds configuration, was introduced as mainstream training in the '80's. With this configuration, one has the ability to primary donate if necessary. The use of red, yellow and other colored seconds were sometimes used, being more prevalent as time went on, later to include yellow hoses.

Secondary take

1. BSAC basic rec training, made it their standard method to reduce accidents, which it has.

2. Backup method for traditional two seconds secondary donate.

Any additions to the list is appreciated.

Having trained on all these methods over the years due to rigs I used, they all will work fine if one maintains their sharing skills. What rig one uses would be dependant on personal preference, or dictated by the type of environment one dives.

[rant] Last, but not least, is the term octo, or octopus, meaning an alternate second, makes no sense and is therefore annoying. Back in the early days of SCUBA the reg set consisted of a first and second stage, which is how the are still sold by the manufacturer. As the SPG, BC inflator, alternate second, and so on were added, the reg set began being called an octopus, for obvious reasons. I don't know what happened to change that, but I blame it on training by catchphrase and ignorant instructors. [/rant]

Would you rather they did not read more broadly?
Just follow what ever they are told by what ever instructor they get?
Not be a critically thinking diver?
Not adapt their ideas based on new information? (As we have seen them adapt!)
Not seek out that information in a source we think is useful in aggregate?

Please, tell us more.
Reading is one thing but how to apply the knowledge is different matter.
Without practical experiences, eg long hose 5/7', OP would have no idea to differentiate the various methods to route the hose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom