Should I wear a snorkel or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am diving tomorrow and using a new non-Scubapro, the Atomic SV2. Will be doing a 500 surface swim to get to the drop down point. Swim face down with snorkel in mouth looking down at a 45 degree angle. Can't wait for the dive tomorrow morning. Last time I dove this location was in 2016.

I have a collapsible roll up one that sits in my bag on the boat in case a dive op insists I have to have one. It's never gotten wet.

I dive without a snorkel - ditched it because my hair kept getting tangled in it. I tried carrying a fold up one and it got in the way or unrolled on its own in the water too many times, so I gifted it. My husband has insisted on always diving with one until recently. On our last trip it detached from his mask - can't figure out how. Someone in our group found it and returned it, but when he discovered how nice it was to dive without it getting in the way he became a 'no-snorkel' convert too.

I like the idea of having a snorkel. I just don't like having to carry one. If anyone has an idea for one that is easy to carry and use I may reconsider as I know they're useful in some situations.

Admitedly, I only read the first 3 comments.

The correct answer to the OP’s question is, “Whatever you choose to do is fine.”

Was just looking at an interview of a survivor of the Malpelo disaster. He was regretting not having a snorkel. I like to be the first one in the water so I can catch my breath if I have to swim to a starting point and I always use mine while waiting for the other divers.

I haven't read all 38 pages so maybe this has been addressed earlier. If you don't need to look under the water why not inflate your BCD/wing so that you ride higher above the water?

I dive without a snorkel - ditched it because my hair kept getting tangled in it. I tried carrying a fold up one and it got in the way or unrolled on its own in the water too many times, so I gifted it. My husband has insisted on always diving with one until recently. On our last trip it detached from his mask - can't figure out how. Someone in our group found it and returned it, but when he discovered how nice it was to dive without it getting in the way he became a 'no-snorkel' convert too.

I like the idea of having a snorkel. I just don't like having to carry one. If anyone has an idea for one that is easy to carry and use I may reconsider as I know they're useful in some situations.
When diving in some locations, I carried one inside a pocket of the BCD.
It can be quite dangerous to keep it attached to the mask, it can make the mask flood or be stripped away, it can interfere with hoses and make it difficult to move the tank in front of you passing overhead if you need to work on your valves...
On the other side, there are cases when you need to do a long surface swim. At that point you get the snorkel from your pocket and you are fine...

I stated earlier that I always have a snorkel with me and basically dismissed the concerns of those who complained about them. Well, I will continue to carry a snorkel but I do have to add some comments about it.

I have been SCUBA diving since 1968. In all of the various assorted training classes that I have taken part in as a student and instructor, snorkels were pretty much mandatory. We trained with them and used them quite a bit. Over the years since then, I continued to use mine. Like all things, my snorkel came to the end of it's life and had to be replaced. It's been replaced several times since 1968 but always with the same type. It's a snorkel! A mouthpiece, a curved tube and a straight tube sticking up out of the water.

Then just recently, I was ordered a new one. It had a fancy name but it's still just a snorkel but with one addition: It has an anti flood valve on top of the tube! Imagine that! A valve to keep water from flowing back into the snorkel. It was never a problem before and purging it was just second nature. But, an anti flowback valve might be a good thing.

It arrived a few days ago and all I have to say is Good Gawd! That thing is a catch all! That valve will probably have to have the seaweed cleaned off it regularly! I apologize to all who complained about their snorkels. if this is what you're using no wonder you had trouble. I took my brand new anti flow back snorkel out to the shop and cut the valve off. Now it's a brand new regular snorkel and won't get caught on anything!

It arrived a few days ago and all I have to say is Good Gawd! That thing is a catch all! That valve will probably have to have the seaweed cleaned off it regularly! I apologize to all who complained about their snorkels. if this is what you're using no wonder you had trouble. I took my brand new anti flow back snorkel out to the shop and cut the valve off. Now it's a brand new regular snorkel and won't get caught on anything

The one I have been using has a "purge" valve at the bottom of the curve below the mouthpiece. It allows most of the water that gets into the snorkel to drain out on its own and leaving a tiny amount for you to expel almost effortlessly. Never got caught on anything at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom