Should I wear a snorkel or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The one I have been using has a "purge" valve at the bottom of the curve below the mouthpiece. It allows most of the water that gets into the snorkel to drain out on its own and leaving a tiny amount for you to expel almost effortlessly. Never got caught on anything at all.
Yeah, that's the kind that I've always used. That's what my brand new one is now. One purge valve at the bottom and just an open tube up top.

Yeah, that's the kind that I've always used. That's what my brand new one is now. One purge valve at the bottom and just an open tube up top.

In my 50 years of diving, I have never dove without a snorkel except in overhead environment and once when my snorkel broke because somebody smashed it with their tank.

The thing with a snorkel is you should learn to use it properly and that means diving under water with it, clearing and keeping it clear. There’s a knack to it. People who go straight to scuba with no swimming or freediving experience are not comfortable with water in a snorkel and gag on it so they prefer a regulator with a clean supply of air. That’s a weakness that will show in bad surface conditions or a leaky reg. getting a couple of mouthfuls of water should be no big deal. I put my gear on and take it off in the water with a snorkel as it’s so easy.

The thing with a snorkel is you should learn to use it properly and that means diving under water with it, clearing and keeping it clear. There’s a knack to it. People who go straight to scuba with no swimming or freediving experience are not comfortable with water in a snorkel and gag on it so they prefer a regulator with a clean supply of air. That’s a weakness that will show in bad surface conditions or a leaky reg. getting a couple of mouthfuls of water should be no big deal. I put my gear on and take it off in the water with a snorkel as it’s so easy.

Exactly 💯!

I spend 2 sessions in the pool teaching skin diving skills to scuba students before going to scuba. It is far easier teaching scuba after learning skin diving skills.

Exactly 💯!

I spend 2 sessions in the pool teaching skin diving skills to scuba students before going to scuba. It is far easier teaching scuba after learning skin diving skills.
Scuba comes naturally from free diving, you’re relaxed and have proper buoyancy already. It must be great to have students who are prepared to take the time to learn free diving and scuba needs more instructors willing to put in the time. People are too quick to put a tank on their back.

Over 2.5 years and this thread just keeps going.

I still only use a snorkel for snorkeling/freediving. :wink:

This is one of those threads that can be interesting to read but I'm not sure it changes anyone's mind.

This is one of those threads that can be interesting to read but I'm not sure it changes anyone's mind.

Let's hope it will change the mind of those who think it useful to have their snorkel strapped to their mask at 40m deep. That you find it useful to carry a snorkel for all your dives or only for those for which the usage may be pertinent is another question, probably more related to the kind of dives you do.

Interesting topic. Stuff I would never have thought of without reading it here.

I can understand why in training, an instructor would say to leave a snorkel behind or remove one from the student for some skills. I get the theory behind it is that no matter what air conservation methods you use, a snorkel can be added to them all for additional air conservation time on a calm surface.

I can also understand the chances of needing a snorkel to save your life compared to using the rest of your gear and your buddy's gear, is probably a ridiculously low number. Stuck in water at eye level, weights dropped, broken BCD that can't be filled orally, out of air, and need to breathe. You could make a Hollywood movie just out of such a situation and probably have a mind-boggling debrief report explaining how it all came to that.

Wouldn't you also be shaking your head if it turned out that in one situation a diver has spent thousands on certs and gear and just needed a two-dollar piece of plastic to make it out of a bad spot?

When snorkeling (not diving), I blow water out of the tube like a mammal's blowhole. I like how it feels and sounds. I also enjoy how it sends cold water flying at the new bathers going in, to hear them shout at you after. Fin away smiling to strike another day.

Let's hope it will change the mind of those who think it useful to have their snorkel strapped to their mask at 40m deep.

It won't.

I've been diving for fifty five years and have carried a snorkel on every one of those dives. In my NAUI class, there was training for it's proper use. Most of the time, it was on my mask but sometimes if there were overhead obstructions, I stuck it in my knife straps. Honestly, I don't think I've ever dove with a partner who didn't have one with them! In fifty five years of diving, I have had to use it at least once for an emergency. It is doubtful that either one of us would have survived without our snorkels.

I have seen divers getting ready for their dives and checking their gear over and over again making sure all was right. I've watched spare masks and fin straps and and extra computers and mini air bottles and fifteen whistles and extra line cutters and cord and an extra glove, etc. etc. all getting stuffed into assorted pockets on themselves. What? No toilet paper? Sheesh! I always asked myself why do they carry all that junk and no snorkel? If you can't find place for a little plastic tube, you're not trying hard enough!

Do whatever you want. I'm enjoying the conversation but I really don't care if you have one of not. I guess it's a personal thing, like whether to carry a spare tire in your car. You'll probably never have a flat. Probably. You'll probably never have to bet your life on a snorkel. However, if you do, you'd better have your own because you're not getting mine!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom