Should I wear a snorkel or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You’ll open a hornets nest.

It’s up to you. I ware one on every dive, have done for over 40 years.

lmao!!

I did on my first certified double dive outside training.

I didn’t use it. Could you elaborate more why and why not please? Online articles are not the same as a host of divers experiences I can read about.
Thanks

If you use a long hose setup for your regulators (like I do), never.

With a standard regulator configuration, totally up to you. I would say it's better to have one when you're starting out in diving and building confidence in the water. You can swim face-down without needing to use your tank supply for example. It's also useful when it's a little choppy on the surface to get air from a little higher up than your face which might get splashed often. Later, you can weigh the pros and cons of whether you want to keep the snorkel or not.

At higher levels of diving (tech, wreck, cave) you'll find that it is considered an entanglement hazard and forbidden in training. The long hose setup normally used in these types of diving can catch the snorkel when you share gas with your buddy and dislodge your mask. The location of the snorkel by your chin can also hinder deploying your necklace regulator.

At these levels, you're not typically going to swim long distances on the surface face down, but rather on your back, so a snorkel isn't much use and may actually dig into the water and give you a mouthful when you don't want it.

I also keep my regulator in my mouth at all times in the water, so I'm ready to take a clear breath of air with no risk of inhaling water accidentally from a snorkel.

Agencies like PADI require recreational instructors and students to have a snorkel during training, so if you see your instructor with one, it might not be their personal choice. :)

I was involved with a new girl that was finding it difficult to the point of exhaustion, to differentiate between the snorkel and the inflator underwater including the regulator on the surface. Then followed my minutes disentangling her hair from the snorkel, holder and mask strap as her terrified boyfriend was not prepared to pull hard enough.

If you expect surface swims, or waiting for a boat it might be good to have one.

If you get lost at sea, or drifting for a longer time. Its very good to have one.

Underwater i consider it a safety issue, because it can get entangled (not so moch in open water) and if someone kicks it, it can rip your mask off.

During my dm training i already saw multiple divers reaching for their snorkel, while searching for their inflator.

My personal opinion: a snorkel should not be used underwater. But i have one in my pocket, if diving in the ocean. Usually a folded one.
I only use a real snorkel if i need to surface swim a lot before diving, or i am scouting the area before submerging.

Never use one. I use a long hose setup and it interferes with it's deployment. I also don't really see much point in using one. I guess if the seas are super bad and the boat leaves without me it might be useful but I'm not going to dive in anything over six feet and I'd much prefer 2-4 feet swell or less. If just waiting for the boat, I'm usually breathing the reg on the surface. If shore diving with a long surface swim I can see some utility but that's often not the type of diving I'm doing. I could also just swim out on my back and then descend in which case I still don't really need a snorkel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom