Should I wear a snorkel or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After jumping off the boat, I'll spend a couple of minutes on the surface with my snorkel to sort out my video gear while face-down...you know, unfurling the arms, turning on the camera, making sure the leash is unencumbered.

After that, the snorkle is useless, so I reach into my upper outer left thigh pocket, 2nd zipper from the bottom, unclip the snorkle decomfabulator, press the button, count to 3, and the automated snorkle retractor on the boat rips the thing outta my mouth and coils it neatly back into my gear bag. The remote too is now useless. But, I have the ICBM-class propellant kit on order that will launch the snorkle decomfabulator retractor auto-remote from my location and parachute it into my gear bag. Cannot wait!

One thing a lot of people are ignoring is the configuration of the diver.

All my diving is CCR or doubles. In both cases I have a long hose. If my buddy has a OOA situation that snorkel is now a definite safety issue.

So I never have a snorkel on my mask under water, useless and annoying there anyways, I will often place a roll up in my pocket as I stated very early on in this thread. That way if I want it on the surface it's there.

Never needed one but have due to boredom while waiting pulled it out a few times.

In fifty five years of diving, I have had to use it at least once for an emergency. It is doubtful that either one of us would have survived without our snorkels.

I am really curious about your emergency because I cannot think of a situation where the snorkel would make the difference between life and death, at least with my diving configuration... but I am ready to change my mind if some facts prove me wrong. Would you mind telling us more about this emergency? Many thanks!

In fifty five years of diving, I have had to use it at least once for an emergency. It is doubtful that either one of us would have survived without our snorkels.

I find this incredibly hard to believe. Not saying you are wrong. You were there and we weren't. But I can't begin to imagine a scuba diving scenario where not having a snorkel would result in a fatality. I too would love to hear more.

I have seen divers getting ready for their dives and checking their gear over and over again making sure all was right. I've watched spare masks and fin straps and and extra computers and mini air bottles and fifteen whistles and extra line cutters and cord and an extra glove, etc. etc. all getting stuffed into assorted pockets on themselves. What? No toilet paper? Sheesh! I always asked myself why do they carry all that junk and no snorkel? If you can't find place for a little plastic tube, you're not trying hard enough!

Simple. All of that redundancy has a fundamental role to play in scuba diving. A snorkel does not.

Simple. All of that redundancy has a fundamental role to play in scuba diving. A snorkel does not.
Hmmm...Well if you say so but I have never needed an extra mask in in all my years of diving but I have used my snorkel more times than I can count. I'll continue to carry my snorkel and won't bother with extra masks, fins, booties, computers, etc. etc. but you go right ahead!

Hmmm...Well if you say so but I have never needed an extra mask in in all my years of diving but I have used my snorkel more times than I can count. I'll continue to carry my snorkel and won't bother with extra masks, fins, booties, computers, etc. etc. but you go right ahead!

Thanks. I certainly will! My buddy had to switch to his backup mask on our last dive trip together. If he hadn't had it that dive would have been over. Conversely, I've never needed a snorkel while scuba diving. They don't work so well underwater.

I find this incredibly hard to believe. Not saying you are wrong. You were there and we weren't. But I can't begin to imagine a scuba diving scenario where not having a snorkel would result in a fatality. I too would love to hear more.
Why would you find it incredibly hard to believe? My girlfriend and I surfaced from a dive in the Gulf off of Destin, Florida in about 1975. A major squall had moved in and the boat was nowhere to be found. Swells were probably around fifteen feet or so, maybe more, The rain was coming down sideways and the lightning was continuous. It wasn't really a big deal as far as storms go and would blow over soon. Then the boat would come for us. We weren't to worried. It's Florida. Storms happen. A Squall would blow itself out pretty quick.

First, we just floated on our backs and watched the light show. lightning takes on a whole new perspective from that position. We were still on canned air so it was no big deal. We ran out after a while and had to resort to our snorkels. We were using Horse Collar BC's so we were floating easy and comfortably on our backs but that didn't work with snorkels. The wave tops were blowing off and we were getting more water than air. We ended up partially deflating our BC's and hovering upright right at the surface so the tops of our heads and snorkels stuck up out of the water. We just held hands and didn't tie off because the water wasn't that turbulent.

After an hour or so, the Squall was softening and we heard the boat horn so I popped a finger flare and we got aboard the boat. We were wet, out of air and tired but otherwise fine. The dive club was run by military guys out of the Hurlburt SpecfOps Base and they insisted we do a debrief on the way back to shore. (Just to see what we did right and wrong and how we can do better)

The boat Captain admitted that he should have sounded the emergency alarm and called us back up to the boat before the Squall got so bad but it was a "sneaker". We all discussed some type of signalling devices besides the flares we stole from the Air Force Weenies. Maybe some kind of flag on a pole that we could wave around? (Did we invent the Signal Sausage???) Everybody agreed, my girlfriend and I the most, that our snorkels had made the difference between a disaster and good adventure. (After the fact!)

If you're asking me if we would have drowned without our snorkels, then I'll ask you if you didn't have a flat tire because you had your spare tire. I really don't know! However, between the constant wind, the broken topped and large swells and the heavy rain, I think there's a good chance that one or both of us would not have made it. In that type of situation, a little bit of water and you might start coughing and then you start flailing and then you drown.

If you don't want to bother with a snorkel, that's fine. I really don't care. I'm not trying to convince you to carry one. What I don't understand, is why others try to convince people to NOT carry one! I can certainly understand there are times when you don't want it flopping around but why dog on others because they want to carry one? It's like a spare tire or a first aid kit or a reserve parachute. Maybe it's bothersome, in the way or uncomfortable. Personally, I feel more at ease knowing my spare tire is pumped up, my reserve chute is on my belly where it belongs and my snorkel is either on my head or in my knife straps where it belongs.

Thanks. I certainly will! My buddy had to switch to his backup mask on our last dive trip together. If he hadn't had it that dive would have been over. Conversely, I've never needed a snorkel while scuba diving. They don't work so well underwater.
How do you loose a mask on a dive? In over fifty five years of diving, I have never known anybody to loose a mask while diving. I've had and seen them knocked off but we always just grabbed it and put it back on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom