Should I wear a snorkel or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are very low or out of air or distance to exit point is too far?

I just came out of a dive an hour ago. Should I have swam the 600 meters out using my air from tank to swim out? Same for coming back?

I don't know why this is such a hard question. I am perfectly comfortable on the surface breathing air without a snorkel. Sure, I could use a snorkel. I don't really like to. I'd rather either breath off the reg or kick on my back and breath the air over my head. You choose to use a snorkel. Awesome. Do that. I don't. Neither of us is right or wrong.

I don't want to see what's swimming below without the ability to do anything about it
And anyway I've just spent an hour underwater had enough there's nothing left to see

I don't want to see what's swimming below without the ability to do anything about it
And anyway I've just spent an hour underwater had enough there's nothing left to see
I don't know why, but I am always happy to see around here.

everyone NEEDS to have one is a false statement.
Never said "everyone." For the average recreational diver outside overhead environment, it is essential.

I think people are taking about different things. You could surface and simply swim 20 or 30 yards to the boat with the reg in your mouth and it’s not a big deal. But swimming any distance breathing down a tank is silly. You could roll on to your back and breathe looking up at the sky but you’re going to have to turn to look where you’re going and every time you do you could get a mouthful of water in any kind of sea. A shore dive could have a number of interesting spots with a distance between them and the most efficient way to move between them is saving your air on the surface and swimming face down with a snorkel. I could reverse my car down the road but it wouldn’t be the best. I’ll put my snorkel in my pocket it’s just to handy to leave at home.

I don't know why, but I am always happy to see around here.
Couldn’t agree more, there’s nothing worse than swimming blind. I wouldn’t walk backwards either.

I think people are taking about different things. You could surface and simply swim 20 or 30 yards to the boat with the reg in your mouth and it’s not a big deal. But swimming any distance breathing down a tank is silly. You could roll on to your back and breathe looking up at the sky but you’re going to have to turn to look where you’re going and every time you do you could get a mouthful of water in any kind of sea. A shore dive could have a number of interesting spots with a distance between them and the most efficient way to move between them is saving your air on the surface and swimming face down with a snorkel. I could reverse my car down the road but it wouldn’t be the best. I’ll put my snorkel in my pocket it’s just to handy to leave at home.

Remember the question was should I wear a snorkel.

Wearing a snorkel while diving produces zero benefits but does have some cons, for most the cons aren't bad but still present.

That's why I say if your not diving long hose and you want to it's personal preference. But wearing it does no good. I usually tell people get a roll up if you want to carry one, no downside besides a little bit of space in your pocket to one of those.

Only on SB we can have a 13 page argument over wearing a snorkel or not and this is not the first time? If you feel there is benefit in wearing one go for it if not then don't shouldn't be shamed either way.
I still stand be my comment from 2.5 years ago on this thread. The only thing that has changed is we are 42 pages in.

Remember the question was should I wear a snorkel.

Wearing a snorkel while diving produces zero benefits but does have some cobs, for most the cons aren't bad but still present.

That's why I say if you’re not diving long hose and you want to it's personal preference. But wearing it does no good. I usually tell people get a roll up if you want to carry one, no downside besides a little bit of space in your pocket to one of those.
Maybe the OP could clarify if she was talking about using a snorkel or leaving it attached to her mask, personally I’ve never attached a snorkel to my mask as I prefer it under the strap so I can adjust the angle.

Back
Top Bottom