Should I go for a nitrox course or a search and rescue course? :):)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

messenone

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi all,

I am planning to take anitrox course next week (did my AOW couple of years ago).

My question is should I spend the money on a nitrox course or wait until a Search and Rescue course is available?

Money wise I think its the same. I am thinking more about experience wise.

I was excited at first about doing the nitrox course (more excuses for diving) but now I am having second thoughts.

p.s. My buddy (wife) is not nitrox certified and nor will be most probably.

Thanks for your input!!!

Last edited:
If you always dive with your Buddy(wife) then I would say dont do the Nitrox then. It doesnt seem like the juice is worth the squeeze in your particular situation.

Do you have the money to do both? The hubby and I are doing both nitrox (we are adding it into our AOW so getting a bit of a discount) and then following it on with Rescue diver afterwards. More excuses to go dive as well as teaching us to be better, more responsible divers.

Agreed. Rescue skills can be practiced without the course - purchase a rescue manual from any of the agencies online and work with your buddy on scenarios that are likely for where you're diving. Rescue courses run the spectrum from very bad to very, very good (like any other course) but the biggest value IMO is in the confidence you build if its done well - that confidence can be built on your own.

Nitrox, however, cannot be purchased without the card. Gas certs are generally more useful than agency center line certs.

If NDLs are not an issue in your diving then you may have little use for nitrox. OTOH, if they are, then your wife will want her nitrox cert when she sees what it does for you.

Convince your wife to get nitrox with you, then you are money$.

If the Rescue Class is taught well it will make you a better diver in so many ways. Nitrox will make you a longer diver ( ndl) however will do nothing for you if your buddy is can not benefit from the longer NDL.

Rescue class for one will benefit both of you because you will take the information and share it with your buddy and possible use it to help her in the future. Whereas Nitrox is only for you.

Personally I would go rescue .

Thank you all for your input!!!

I never expected so many replies in such a short period of time.

I think that I ll probably do both ( I hope theres going to be a rescue course available soon - I will always stick with the trainer who I got my OW and AOW certs - I think he is a top trainer. Plus I heard from other that he takes the Rescue course to a whole different level).

Thanks again all of you for sharing your thoughts and opinions.

Happy diving!

Hi all,

I am planning to take anitrox course next week (did my AOW couple of years ago).

My question is should I spend the money on a nitrox course or wait until a Search and Rescue course is available?

Money wise I think its the same. I am thinking more about experience wise.

I was excited at first about doing the nitrox course (more excuses for diving) but now I am having second thoughts.

p.s. My buddy (wife) is not nitrox certified and nor will be most probably.

Thanks for your input!!!

Nitrox, Nitrox, Nitrox.

I think you meant Search & Recovery. I am fairly certain that there is no Search & Rescue. There is a Rescue Diver with EFR (Emergency First Responder) which is a great course but I know the price is much more than just Nitrox. Unless you are not talking about PADI.

Search and Recovery you will hardly get to use - just google about the different search patterns and that would be sufficient - you will not be qualified to do a recovery of a person

NITROX - and get your wife to do it as well if you can. Quite a few advantages - less nitrogen going into your body - which is always a good thing. More O2 going into your body which is also a good thing (at certain depths) , longer dive time - which is also a good thing. You will also be not as tired after two dives on Nitrox.

Hope this helps

If you take the PADI online nitrox course you will learn everything you need to know about nitrox and its available for one year so your wife and friends can view it to. There is no in water training required you just have to pass a test and your good to go. As to your original question in my view the Nitrox certification is by far more useful. Many dive boats in my area now require nitrox for deeper dives and it just makes sence to take advantage of everything available that makes for safer diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom