Should I get this cobra or go bottom timer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smokn'

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm buying my first gear and I'm trying to decide whether I want to go the bottom timer or computer route. I found a nice condition suunto cobra console for $250 locally. Any thoughts? Also, if I went the bottom timer route, what are the entry level bottom timers out there? Thanx

I happen to like having a Cobra as part of my rig. It provides me with my log data and also serves as a backup everything. As a new diver, you may want to keep it in computer mode too. When you get more comfortable with your profiles, then it is easy to switch to guage mode.

good condition Cobra for $250.......go for it......I would

Then you can get a wrist mounted unit later and it can become your backup......

M

I agree with what everyone saying. It has a nice feature of downloading your dive info. You can still get the cable from Suunto. However I am having trouble finding more abrasion covers. If you find a source let me know.

Will do sailor, and thanx everybody for the input.

Well, I bought it sight unseen from a guy on craigslist (outta town). He wasn't a diver yet and I'm going to believe him on this one. He said he had never used it, he just knew it came on and seemed to work. It ended up being one of those bad depth sensor batches. Soooo, I have a $250 SPG/thermometer/dive planner/underwater clock. Thus is life though, it was a good enough deal the risk made sense at the time. I guess I'll buy a wrist mount depth gauge and keep using the puter till I can afford to buy a brass SPG and underwater watch of sorts.

Send it to Suunto. They should repair/replace it, as it's a known manufacturing defect.

I'll check in with em, but from what I read they're a pain in the back side to deal with once it's out of warranty.

Oceanic SWIV Maxdepth Wrist Gauge

You can get a depth gauge from LP for $55. I think it was on sale a few weeks ago for like 44, but I could be wrong on that.

I would give Suunto a chance to see what they might be able to do for you too.

Check out the hot deals section here on sb. There are some great sales this weekend from supporting companies
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/hot-deals/

Dive Right Scuba in has been known to slip a few things into his sale if you send him a PM and let him know you are interested in something. I think he just did that on a pony bottle for someone this weekend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom