Should I buy these Japanese (Asahi?) 120 tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i own four of these "SPUN" tanks and have used them a lot . i love the buoyancy properties of these tanks ,however,two of them have had the coating on the outside peel of !!! this left me with tanks that were unusable, and i tried to contact genises to report the problem and they deny that they even know the brand !!! the tank are clearly marked with thier name
DOT-E12079-3500 TP5250 SPUN JAPAN
EKHR-16604 M7901 its 1-01 GENESIS ST 120

DOT-E12079-3500 TP5250 SPUN JAPAN
EKHR-16571 M7901 its 1-01 GENESIS ST 120
(they purchaced the brand from the japanese company )
i really love these tanks and wish there was something i could do ,but it seems that GENESIS will not back up thier product and i will have to purchace other tanks to replace these damanged tanks !!
beware of these tanks, if you are buying them used, look closely at the coating in the outside and check for peeling in the galvo coating. if there is some you will not get any support from GENESIS !!

As far as I know there is a second issue with “spun” tanks when it comes to corrosion.

The bottom of the tank is spun closed and it fuses together in the process. The metal is basically in a molten state when it fuses. I guess it is not an issue with DOT since it is not an arch welding process. In any case, the inside center of the tank is not as smooth as tanks made by other processes.

Having a wrought inside bottom can accelerate pitting corrosion if any moisture gets in the tank and the tank is stored standing up. There has been some talk that the ideal way to store a spun tank is on a rack that holds them at an angle (like a 45 deg angle).

I have heard that the new tanks from PST will be partially fabricated in Korea. The bottom will be spun closed in Korea and the final process will be done in the US.

IMO, just make sure to have a VIP where the technician pays special attention to the bottom. Afterward, always be very careful that no moisture ever gets in them. If you can store them at an angle, it wouldn’t hurt.

I have HP 100 Ashai/Genesis tanks. Like them a lot. They are heavy, however, so keep that under consideration. For me, it just means less weight on a belt, as I can still swim them up.

I wonder if he bought the tanks being that the OP was over 2 years ago!

i am still going to be diving them. i have sprayed them with four coats of cold galvo,three or four coats of a really cool looking gold color and am now putting on a fourth coat of acryllic clear coat. i will let everyone know how this works out. i fill my own tanks so i don't have to worry about snotty rules at dive shops,but i am going to try to get them VIP-ed any way. the rules vary, and the place that hydro'd the tanks should VIP them (they sandblasted the outside) and said as long as they can still see the numbers and letters on tnem ,they will be O.K.
CMAN< what is a OP?

OP= Original Post

Packhorse:
They are heavyier than my fabers (great for singles but not doubles) and dont seem to rust any faster.
I have my asahi 100s doubled, and they're heavy as hell. I got an aluminium plate for them though, and I'm able to dive them close to neutral with no weight belt using a bare drysuit.

I had my 100's doubled with a ali plate for a while too. I didnt need any weigh in my belt. Although I was in a 7mm wetsuit.
I used a 44lb wing and found it would only just float my rig.
I decided to go to the fabers and managed to drop 5kgs (11lbs)of weight from my rig.
This allowed me to have a more ballanced rig and also allowed me and my suit to be more neutral as opposed to positive and my tanks more nuetral as opposed to negitive which I think is a good thing. And also the fact that I can have some ditchable weight.
I think in your situation with a dry suit the extra weight is probably a big plus.
I sold the 100's to by the fabers but I still have the 115s and use them as singles. I have just brough a second manifold and have thought of doubling them up but I dont think I could walk them up the dive ladder.

i contacted Genesis about the coating peeling off,and they said that they get the tanks from Catilina Cylenders, and they only warranty the galvo coating for two years !! i wish i had known that when i bought the tanks !! two year warranty on a $350.00 tank/ i would have gone with another manufacturer !! every body passes the f---ng buck and my two other tanks are starting to peel !! i'm filing a complaint with the BBB and eventually will have to sand blast and paint those to . Genesis will not do anything about this problem so i will never do buisness with them or buy thier products again !!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom