Should I buy these Japanese (Asahi?) 120 tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krick

Registered
Reaction score
A scuba friend is selling a pair of used steel 120s. He says they are "spun steel" and made in Japan. I assume they are Asahi thanks.

He wants $400 for the pair. It seems like a good deal to me.

Is there any reason I shouldn't buy them?

I figure, if I don't like them, I can always dump them on eBay.

Krick

Discount Scuba in Seattle Wa. has some. My concern was are they legal in the states. Appearantly they are.

Considering they are selling a HP 100 for $300 ea. your friend's price looks pretty good.

TwoBit

TwoBitTxn:
Discount Scuba in Seattle Wa. has some. My concern was are they legal in the states. Appearantly they are.

Considering they are selling a HP 100 for $300 ea. your friend's price looks pretty good.

TwoBit

The Steel Tanks from Sherwood/Genesis are Asahi. http://www.genesisscuba.com/tanks_din.html

They are fine tanks but are under a DOT exemption for a few more years. This spring, they were late refiling the exemption paperwork and were lapsed for a few days.

Probably will never be a problem again but there were a few AL tanks that lost the exemption prior to being assigned a 3AL stamp and are now required to be condemned when they are up for Hydro.

DM

My friend sent me the markings from the two tanks...

DOT-E12079-3500 TP5250 SPUN JAPAN
EKHR-16604 M7901 its 1-01 GENESIS ST 120

DOT-E12079-3500 TP5250 SPUN JAPAN
EKHR-16571 M7901 its 1-01 GENESIS ST 120

*nod* Newer Genesis tanks are Asahi. I don't remember when they changed their outsource to Asahi, but it was some time after 1992 [since mine aren't Asahi]. I don't know much about the tanks other than that my buddy, a hydro operator, constantly repeats the statements that "Asahi suck".

Spectre:
*nod* Newer Genesis tanks are Asahi. I don't remember when they changed their outsource to Asahi, but it was some time after 1992 [since mine aren't Asahi]. I don't know much about the tanks other than that my buddy, a hydro operator, constantly repeats the statements that "Asahi suck".

Diving in Japan have extensive experience with Ashai tanks-

Very heavy- incrediably negative and they rust very quickly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom