Should a non-DIR diver use a long hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OneBrightGator:
Go see Chris at Blue Water Sports, he'll get you squared away, he goes by WaterDawg on the forums.

Sorry to throw you under the bus Chris, but you know... :thumb:

Thanks for the good word ben!!!!
Ive got some bigger tanks now!!

Aucilla swing by or give me a call and I can give you more info.

OneBrightGator:
Go see Chris at Blue Water Sports, he'll get you squared away, he goes by WaterDawg on the forums.

Sorry to throw you under the bus Chris, but you know... :thumb:

Thanks! I know Chris, and he IS da man: knows his stuff, cares, and shares!

I realize this is an older thread but I just wanted to make a comment, hope thats ok. First of all I really enjoy reading thru this DIR forum. Very straitforward info with what seems to be a little less bashing then on other forums. I also am not DIR and had sorta the same question. I only use a 40" primary hose but wondered if I would look silly combining that with the bungeed backup. I currently have an air2 and it is pure evil. So thanks for all your good advice and Happy diving :)

ScubaTwo:
I realize this is an older thread but I just wanted to make a comment, hope thats ok. First of all I really enjoy reading thru this DIR forum. Very straitforward info with what seems to be a little less bashing then on other forums. I also am not DIR and had sorta the same question. I only use a 40" primary hose but wondered if I would look silly combining that with the bungeed backup. I currently have an air2 and it is pure evil. So thanks for all your good advice and Happy diving :)
No. Many DIR divers recommend the 40" primary hose and bungeed backup as a fine open water rig. GI3 himself says he uses a 40" primary on his single tank OW rig.

I'm not a "DIR" or GUE certified diver, but I use a 5' hose for all of my diving.

I've found it to be quite a practical addition when working with basic open water students.

the K

In a recreational environment the best advise is to dive what you like. As with anything though - practice with your gear so deploying whatever system becomes automatic. If you are fortunate enough to have a regular dive buddy, practice with them.

I think everyone should use a long hose for all diving. I use a 7-footer for doubles diving and a 5-footer for single tank. Ever approach an out of air diver or get a reg ripped out of your mouth? Having a long hose makes all the difference. Being bunched up with a stressed diver breathing off a short hose is no fun.

Dave
www.divingindepth.comhttp://www.divingindepth.com

The Kraken:
I'm not a "DIR" or GUE certified diver, but I use a 5' hose for all of my diving.
I was the donatee in some air shares this weekend on both five and seven foot hoses. As the receiver, there was a definitive difference with the two hose lengths. Seven foot seemed much more comfortable, and the five foot quite taught and less forgiving.

Just my .02.

ScubaTwo:
I only use a 40" primary hose but wondered if I would look silly combining that with the bungeed backup.:)
Until last month I had a 40" primary and bungeed backup. It works OK, just make sure you practice your regulator retrieval skill as it works a little different that what you were probably taught in OW.

Once I tried doing a proper s-drill with that configuration, then with a long hose, I'm now sold on the long hose. YMMV.

im useing a 7ft house i love it i dove with few ppl that are tech divers to get use to it im going to the tech way thou so they wanted me to get use to diving with it now

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom