Should a non-DIR diver use a long hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGratefulDiver:
Actually, I would prefer that he didn't until he gets a few more dives, and some OOA practice, under his weightbelt at shallower depths ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It was a rhetorical statement. I didn't mean to actually encourage him to go and do that :D
Thanks for clarifying that.

scubamickey:
THe thing with the Air 2 is that I bought it this year before I really dove with DIR divers. I also like the lack of an extra hose.

I understand that you've got the equipment investment to deal with, but I do predict that you'll wind up with a second on a necklace before you know, and the air-2 may find its way to ebay...

The additional hose for the necklace really isn't a big deal--it doesn't cause any problems underwater...

lamont:
I understand that you've got the equipment investment to deal with, but I do predict that you'll wind up with a second on a necklace before you know, and the air-2 may find its way to ebay...

The additional hose for the necklace really isn't a big deal--it doesn't cause any problems underwater...

I predict that your prediction will come true. I give me 18 mos tops.

I dived recreationally with a long hose for several years before I got into the tech game and switched all my gear. I never had anyone laugh at me for using it but I did get a few strange looks now and then and more then my share of questions from fellow recreational divers as to why I had such a long hose. IMO there's no reason why you can't breath the long hose while wearing recreational gear. Just listen to what others have said and practice using the setup as it takes some getting used to at first.

Do you guys recommend I try the 5ft hose as suggested? Or go with the 7ft one?

Rest assured, even if I don't go with the long hose I will still practice air sharing. Just as I will practice taking my mask off underwater and orally inflating my BC. Practice builds muscle memory and in an emergency that will make all the difference.

Depending on your body size and set up, Like I said, 7ft was too long without a canister light on our body size. So, we picked up 5 ft. I don't think one size t-shirt can fit everyone nicely.

Ben_ca:
7... Try to hook up with Snowbear and see how his is rigged
FWIW - Snowbear is a her ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I love DIR people! It's like watching an underwater ballet.

Ain't it the truth?

I'm sure (I know) there are equally good non-DIR divers out there, but it's pretty clear that the intense emphasis on posture and control in the water pays off spectacularly. You get a chance to dive with people like Bob and Uncle Pug and a lot of other divers start looking rather clumsy underwater, no matter what their education or experience :)

TSandM:
Ain't it the truth?

I'm sure (I know) there are equally good non-DIR divers out there, but it's pretty clear that the intense emphasis on posture and control in the water pays off spectacularly. You get a chance to dive with people like Bob and Uncle Pug and a lot of other divers start looking rather clumsy underwater, no matter what their education or experience :)
LOL - well, now that I've got a camera to play with, I'll be learning control all over again.

I've got one dive on it so far, and discovered that it ain't as easy as Uncle Pug makes it look ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom