Shortening a LP inflator hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You have to shorten the hose and use a new fitting.

So how come we don't get hoses from hydrolic shops vs dive shops? I mean, you'd have to clean it but is there any other downside?

Edit: the reason I'm asking is I need to make a long hose from the filling station to the back of a vehicle (Idk, maybe 50') and this would be helpful to cut costs.

So how come we don't get hoses from hydrolic shops vs dive shops? I mean, you'd have to clean it but is there any other downside?
Who is we?
I will bet that most gas bank hoses and fill whips are made in a garage, and those are usually 300bar rated.
Our surface supply hoses get made by the same guy who fixes our CAT excavators.

Cut the hose in the middle, take out whatever length you wany and use metal barb fittings to put it back together.

Its a rubber hose, not rocket science

Who is we?
I will bet that most gas bank hoses and fill whips are made in a garage, and those are usually 300bar rated.
Our surface supply hoses get made by the same guy who fixes our CAT excavators.

We the people?

So do you just clean them really well after they're made? Our hydrolic guy dips everything in oil. I've never paid attention to what they charge though.

These are the kinds of questions I have had, but assumed I would be run off of here on a rail had I the courage to ask.

My initial assumption was that there was some sort of international scuba certification board, and that while mechanically equivalent, if it wasn't stamped or accepted, the insurance wouldn't allow it.

I've had several hoses and lines made over the years, some for way more pressure and hostile environments than divers typically see. And yes, I've had custom brake lines made.

I would just get the line length I liked made instead of cutting it in the middle. That's a little too ghetto for life safety applications.

And, like he said, if they leak, you cut the fitting off and apply a new one. Never try to recrimp... anything. Including wires. It never works out in the long run.

Am I missing something? Doesn't this cost more than a new hose?

I can see having it in a SAD kit.. maybe? In my experience the crimps either leak when new or they don't.

Does anyone know if a new hose is leaking and you recrimp would it seal? I have like 5 or 6 brand new hoses that leaked right out of the box. Not sure what yo do with them but I hate throwing away good stuff.

Yes I have successfully crimped lp and hp hoses. Using hydraulic hose crimper.
Often on hp hoses when you get weeping through all those tiny holes, it often seeping past the crimp,
I have made mine own hoses before,
Best hose is the good quality -40 rated air line, most of it is rated min 300psi
Also you can get nice brass furles to crimp on instead of odker clamps

Edit: the reason I'm asking is I need to make a long hose from the filling station to the back of a vehicle (Idk, maybe 50') and this would be helpful to cut costs.

Now you're talking HP hose. Yes I use hydraulic line. But I prefer smaller ID hose then 1/4 hydraulic line....
You can order it. But it's a bit pricey.
One option which is not to bad price wise. Is airless paint sprayer hose. Usually it's around 50ft, and rated 4500 psi. Simple green and some compressed air. And you'll have a nice small, light, long hose.

Hey Dudesesses can youse see these!

022.JPG

If youse can't then pump up the photo pshhst pshhst squirt squirt pump pump boom boom?

Back
Top Bottom