Shortening a LP inflator hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

....and he can still splice in any needed repairs. :)

....and if he puts in enough splices, you can use it as a sporty, if not downright jaunty, walking stick.:)

N.O. ...meant entirely in the spirit of jocularity....

I have a couple of these, they work flawlessly as they should.
Hello northernone - I am interested in how you crimp the 3/8 male adapter to the rubber LP hose. I’m have an Atomic 2nd stage primary hose that is 36”. My normal setup is 24”. The 36” hangs out over my shoulder and snags when I turn my head. I would love the keep the comfort swivel on the 2nd stage and this seems to be the most effective means of customization. As long as I can effectively crimp the thing. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Hello northernone - I am interested in how you crimp the 3/8 male adapter to the rubber LP hose. I’m have an Atomic 2nd stage primary hose that is 36”. My normal setup is 24”. The 36” hangs out over my shoulder and snags when I turn my head. I would love the keep the comfort swivel on the 2nd stage and this seems to be the most effective means of customization. As long as I can effectively crimp the thing. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
The AP Diving ends are not crimped, they screw together. The outer part screws onto the hose. The inner part is a sort of cone shaped and goes inside the hose and screws onto the outer part. So just a pair of spanner’s required.

Someone on here if I remember shortened an atomic hose using a different make but the same principal.

If it us a 36 inch hose, run the hose down from the first stage, under your arm, and up to your mouth.

If my first stage starts putting out 200psi + I expect a freeflow long before a hose clamp let's go.

What might I be missing?
That regulators are depth compensated and you are above 200psi in that hose at only 60M.

Omni-Swivel male hose repair kit. Takes 5 minutes.
I've done exactly this with Atomic Comfort Swivel hoses. They're great! Just too long.

That regulators are depth compensated and you are above 200psi in that hose at only 60M.
Compared to 1 atm, yes. But compared to ambient water pressure at that depth, the internal pressure of the hose isn't that high.

Well yes, you're not wrong, and I probably shouldn't even chime in, but for what it's worth,
If the regulator is balanced for ambient pressure, and lets say you're at like 60m and the water pressure is at like 85psi and the interior of the LP hose is at 200psi, then the pressure differential between the inside and outside of a (terribly bad idea anyway) diy hose fitting is still only 105psi. The fitting is no more likely to rupture at depth than if it was on the surface at internal hose pressure of 120psi and a sea level air pressure of 15psi.

That said, I consider myself a bit of maker, and DIY just about every challenge I encounter, but I wouldn't even flirt with a scuba hose as something worth modifying. IMO, too important of a component to accept additional risk for cost savings or "perfect length". If you look at both EU and US sources, just about every hose length +/- 2cm is readily available as a stock item from the major brands, and options exist for quality professionally crimped LP hoses of custom lengths as well.

Back
Top Bottom