Shortening a LP inflator hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brilig

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Has anyone shortened a low pressure inflator hose by chopping out a section in the middle and splicing the ends back together? I know it's not a very expensive item and I would normally just go buy the correct length hose but in this particular instance I'm in the mood to cheap out. Besides, I love a good DIY project. So, has anyone got experience they'd like to share?

Not sure how you would "splice" the two pieces together.
There must be coupling somewhere but that means cost.
In a workshop where I spent some time, hoses were joined with a piece of metal tube internally and 2 hose clips externally, that was good enough for 100 PSI.
Interesting project though............keep us all up to date.

Not sure how you would "splice" the two pieces together.
There must be coupling somewhere but that means cost.
In a workshop where I spent some time, hoses were joined with a piece of metal tube internally and 2 hose clips externally, that was good enough for 100 PSI.
Interesting project though............keep us all up to date.
I was thinking a barbed fitting I've seen for joining two hoses, clamps, and a nice piece of shrink tubing to dress the whole thing up.

I haven't needed to use one yet, but these inflator hose shortener/adaptors seem quite straightforward... just cut off to correct length and rejoin!
AP Diving LP 3/8 Male Inflator/Regulator Hose Shortener - The Scuba Doctor Dive Shop
Inflator hose shortener.jpg

Depending upon how you have the hose routed and which LP port on your first stage you have it connected to, sometimes it works just to stick it in one of the upper ports so it goes upwards first and then down to your BC connector.

I haven't needed to use one yet, but these inflator hose shortener/adaptors seem quite straightforward... just cut off to correct length and rejoin!
AP Diving LP 3/8 Male Inflator/Regulator Hose Shortener - The Scuba Doctor Dive Shop
View attachment 488782
Hmmm.... Seems that fix is more than the cost of a new rubber hose, and about the cost of a new miflex hose.

I feel I have seen crimping supplies in the past, but couldn't find any just now.

I was thinking a barbed fitting I've seen for joining two hoses, clamps, and a nice piece of shrink tubing to dress the whole thing up.

This works reliably, common in shop compressor systems. One of these in the appropriate size and two hose clamps:

s-l400.jpg

I keep the clamps exposed for inspection and ease of cleaning, otherwise a bit of hose over it to prevent entanglement could be an option. Needed this for a rebreather build. Works.

We forgot lp hose is a very common hose in industrial applications and there are readily available splicing solutions.

This works reliably, common in shop compressor systems. One of these in the appropriate size and two hose clamps:

View attachment 488791
I keep the clamps exposed for inspection and ease of cleaning, otherwise a bit of hose over it to prevent entanglement could be an option. Needed this for a rebreather build. Works.

We forgot lp hose is a very common hose in industrial applications and there are readily available splicing solutions.

LP hoses are rated for 350 psi with a burst strength of 800 psi (I think). Those connectors won't hack those specs. Also a hose clamp is going to make a snag point and an ugly bulge times 2 - one on each side of the splice. For $20 for a double braid or $40 for a milflex??? Penny wise and pound foolish.

LP hoses are rated for 350 psi with a burst strength of 800 psi (I think). Those connectors won't hack those specs. Also a hose clamp is going to make a snag point and an ugly bulge times 2 - one on each side of the splice. For $20 for a double braid or $40 for a milflex??? Penny wise and pound foolish.

If my first stage starts putting out 200psi + I expect a freeflow long before a hose clamp let's go. The built in automatic opv in the system seems good enough for me.
Browse Jubilee® Clip products

Yes, a splice is bulky.

What might I be missing?

Back
Top Bottom