Shore/rubble Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kokanee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Heading to Coz in June and looking for for a place that has good rubble diving in front and an onsite operator to check out a tank. I REALIZE the shore diving in Cozumel isn't great but I love me a long shallow rubble dive where I can watch blennies, gobies, juvies and other various sand dwellers. I usually do this solo as a 3rd dive. I've stayed at SCC and liked the shoreline there; anyone know of anything similar down south?

Casa del Mar, Village Tan Kah/Scuba Shack and Park Royal are close together. 3 very different hotels. I think the shore diving at Blue Angel is considered pretty good. Also, the Villa Blanca/Papa Hogs area has nice shore diving, by Cozumel standards.

Villa Aldora up north (to be commercial). Good as it gets from all the rubble of my docks before Wilma; Free tanks there all the time, easy in and out.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Have stayed at Blue Angel and liked it. Case del Mar, Park Royal seem pretty close to the cruise ships; you can shore dive there? Dave, just sent Villa Aldora an email seeking availability.

Any place that had a concrete dock pre wilma lol.......!

There were many concrete slabs and rubble in front of the Sabor when I was snorkeling there. It was pretty shallow however.

Have stayed at Blue Angel and liked it. Case del Mar, Park Royal seem pretty close to the cruise ships; you can shore dive there? Dave, just sent Villa Aldora an email seeking availability.

The Park Royal is about 500(?) feet south of Casa del Mar, so I don't know the logistics of shore diving from PR, but there are several entry points along that area in front of CDM. There are cruise excursions that bring people to Tikila Bar, essentially in front of CDM, for snorkeling, scuba, etc. El Cid is another hotel right in that area.

I think the cruise ship piers are about 3 good sized blocks south of Casa del Mar? They aren't an issue at all, but there is some boat traffic, but that traffic knows the area has snorkeling and scuba, etc. You want a flag of course.

On second thought, I wouldn't classify that area as rubble diving. There are artificial structures just north of CDM's pier and in about 30 feet of water. They've been down there for probably 5 years now? 2 or 3 domes with circular holes. They might be 12-20 feet in diameter? I think there is some small amount of "rubble" here and there, but not big mounds.

Pre Wilma anyhow, it was really good snorkeling, which I did, but didn't dive it until after Wilma. There's an 8 or 10 foot shelf down to about 28 feet, It's been a couple years since I've been, but there were sea horses. We saw two, but also saw pictures of 5. The sea fans have been coming back nicely as are the coral heads.

Ton of rubble out front of Park Royal. Dove it last year on a shore dive. But seriously, you can take your pic for any location along the front. They all got trashed by Wilma and all have good rubble piles to dive on. I am like you and love putting a few extra pounds on - sinking down and watching the micro action! Its too fun!

Agreed, I love micro and can poke around down there for hours. Do you know who runs the dive op at Park Royal?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom