Shore diving with DPV and a dive flag, have you done it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texasguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
An odd question. Those who use their DPV in an ocean for getting to reefs and etc, do you tow a dive flag (per local legal obligations)?

I am curious if the flag goes underwater due to drag or just snaps off...

Do I make sense?

I use one of the mako floats https://www.makospearguns.com/Hawaiian-Hard-Float-p/mhhf2.htm
Tows very well both shallow and deep. It has a hard weight to keep the flag positioned up. Never had a problem with the flag dragging on the water. I use a handheld gps in a dry box attached to the float to record the dive track.

With DPV swimming out from shore?

No because the average depth is 20 meters, if I'm in shallowee water I'll pull it out.

I got a notification that our product was referenced in this thread. We have quite a few customers who have purchased our floats for towing in currents and by scooters. The two floats referenced, the HP float and the Hawaiian Hard float both have the option to attach a flag and the required ballast weight in order to keep the flag up.

These floats are very robust and can easily handle any current or wave action without damage. These floats are streamlined and will not easily be submerged since they also have considerable buoyancy. If a diver is trying to tow a float at high speed or operate in high currents of over maybe 2-3 mph, then a long floatline should be used.

I have spoken to a few of our experienced customers about the specifics of towing floats with scooters (since I don't do it myself) and they have indicated that it is important to use a tow line of at least 2 or 3 times the depth. It also helps to have a thin line on a reel rather than a rope when towing in deep water because a rope of hundreds of feet long will begin to generate considerable drag itself.

Edit: I should also mention that it is probably not a good idea to attach a float to your body when scuba diving or freediving. I know that people often attach the reel directly to the scooter. This may help to prevent loss of the scooter. If a boat where to "Snag" a float when underway, a diver who has attached a floatline to their body could be rapidly pulled toward the surface if the line did not part immediately.

thanks
dano

I am fascinated with the idea of buying a DPV to use in Libya to go further out from shore than what I can do on my own with fins to get to deeper waters. Water is very shallow for ways out from shore and it gets tiring trying to reach 20 meter depth swimming with fins only. Would a DPV solve this issue for somebody on scuba? Is it OK to swim with the DPV on the surface for 1km until I get to the depth I want to dive and then drop down anchor the float with a reel to the bottom and leave the DPV with it while I swim around in the area looking for subjects to photograph (or spearfish) and then when done, use the DPV to swim back to shore (perhaps the swim back is underwater to allow for safety stop)?

If the scooter fails, one must be able to get home towing the dead scooter with fin power alone and gas plans should also take this into consideration.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom