Shocking Risks Taken Solo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving solo is generally the SAFEST thing I do since my incident rate with instabuddies is 17X that while diving solo! Of course with my preferred buddies it is almost zero, but I do 95% of my diving solo.

I don't recommend diving solo for anyone else though. I'd have to know how they react to emergencies to even have a clue whether they can successfully dive solo.

Last edited:
Ok I love you guys, I can’t mess with you any more. AndcI am hopefully about to get my solo cert soon. I wrote a tricky post, look closer, I said Solo Driving, not solo diving. I have to drive like 7 hours to get to the good stuff!

So, proud of myself that I had the attention to detail to pick up on your nuanced post. Not normally my strong suit. It gave me a nice little chuckle. (both your post and the fact that I actually caught it).

@scubadada and @Wookie

Unfortunately no. I always wanted to, but never got the chance. I always enjoy Frank's posts on SB-- He seems very no nonsense, straightforward and has a very enjoyable dry sense of humor (to me) and is appropriately self-effacing and honest.

On a somewhat related note, have you ever had the opportunity to dive out at the Dry Tortugas from Key West? That is something that really intrigues me and I would like to do some day.

What say you, Frank? Is it worth it?

Last edited:
Unfortunately no. I always wanted to, but never got the chance. I always enjoy Frank's posts on SB-- He seems very no nonsense, straightforward and has a very enjoyable dry sense of humor (to me) and is appropriately self-effacing and honest.

On a somewhat related note, have you ever had the opportunity to dive out at the Dry Tortugas from Key West? That is something that also intrigues me.
I practically lived there for 15 years. I believe I did Scubadada's solo class there.

I practically lived there for 15 years. I believe I did Scubadada's solo class there.
Old folks, perhaps like Frank and I, sometimes have difficulty with details. My son and I actually did the Florida Wreck Trek on the Spree in 2015. I was going to do the trip solo and had gotten approval from Frank. I was able to talk my son into going with me and the solo trip became history. I had plans to return for a trip to the Dry Tortugas or Cuba when I found out the Spree had been sold. We'll see what the future holds

Old folks, perhaps like Frank and I, sometimes have difficulty with details. My son and I actually did the Florida Wreck Trek on the Spree in 2015. I was going to do the trip solo and had gotten approval from Frank. I was able to talk my son into going with me and the solo trip became history. I had plans to return for a trip to the Dry Tortugas or Cuba when I found out the Spree had been sold. We'll see what the future holds
I certainly remember you and your son on the wreck trek. Perhaps I certified Dr. Mike in the Tortugas.

Near Miami on like a 6 lane freeway where everyone was going about 100 miles an hour I saw a couple of cars sideswipe right in front of me. They just kept going. Maybe neither one had insurance. And people think WE take risks. I breathe a big sigh of relief when I am nice and safe underwater:)
A few years ago on the Cave Divers Forum there was a thread about why do you cave dive? My favorite response was from someone who said they liked to stare death in the face, and then when they get off I-75 they like to dive in nice, clean, fresh water.

Back
Top Bottom