Shocking Risks Taken Solo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No ... it's buddy diving separation. Solo diving involves planning and preparing to dive solo. Buddy diving separation is an accident that involves no planning or preparation whatsoever ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---satire--

To continue the humorous nature of this thread:

I disagree, some buddy separation requires careful planning and preparation to successfully ditch a buddy. Particularly if they are being clingy. (Expecting to see my bubbles in the distance even).

For preparation, it requires choosing a bcd and weight system which allows for significant overweighting. Plan to wait till you reach maximum depth together. Gain the up current advantage if it's a drift. Deflate your bcd suddenly. Simultaneously begin finning hard into the current and downward as steeply as possible.

Thats the careful planning and preparation is what it takes to separate from the pesky kind of buddy I've experienced. Solo diving pales in comparison.

---satire end---

Cameron

Ps. Glad you made your solo drive all safe and the peace of the waters adequately soothed you after.

Last edited:
Sigh, I will be staying in Southwest Florida for a while soon... is it really necessary to drive to the other coast for good diving?

Yes and No. There are FAR more scuba charter ops and shore diving options off of the SE coast.

There are a few charters operating out of SWFL. The majority cater almost exclusively to spear fisherman. I'm not against spearos, but it's not my thing. I'm fine with a few spearos on a boat who are dropped separately, but I'd rather not dive on a charter where I'm the only non-hunter.

The one charter that I know of that is more recreational scuba focused (vs spearo focused) is based out of Marco Island. They don't go out on a regular, predictable schedule but rather go out when the can based upon customers and conditions. Scuba Marco is the shop/charter. I've met them but my schedule has just not yet synced with one of their trips. They seem to be great folks! I've just never gotten out with them yet. I hope to soon.

The other charters over here (there are a few) are perfectly fine I'm sure, but just hunter-focused. Plus the boat rides are long as the dive sites are pretty far offshore on this coast. It is just typically easier for me to head to the SE coast to dive. It's a pretty easy day-trip with the drive along the east coast being the biggest risk LOL!

Well @JimBlay I will be staying just North of you for a month in July... so tips on how/when to make that drive and dive would be much appreciated, and maybe we can go diving?

I don't hunt either, and although I admire Spearos I feel guilty when I kill a Palmetto bug, so although I have swam around looking cool with a speargun I never had the heart to shoot anything. Years later the studio where the speargun was stored was broken into and the thieves took the speargun and shot a painting of a tropical island I had done, and that was the end of that.

Well @JimBlay I will be staying just North of you for a month in July... so tips on how/when to make that drive and dive would be much appreciated, and maybe we can go diving?

I've got quite a few suggestions I can share. Where are you staying? Ft. Myers, Cape Coral or further north?

Will you have all of your own gear or will you need to rent anything?

Answers to those questions will help me fine tune my suggestions. I will write them up and send them via PM.

I'm always open to meeting and diving with new people if we can sync our schedules.

Look, there are a lot more riskier things you can do, such as:
1 - Visit a hooker in Juarez
2 - Kick Colin Mcgregor in the nuts
3 - Date a stripper with a couple of ex husbands
4 - Shave one of the Chairman's cats

Back
Top Bottom