Shocking Risks Taken Solo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquacat8

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Using old equipment I can’t afford to replace, relying on rusty navigation skills, surrounded by idiots staring at their computers with no situational awareness moving at rates exceeding recommended limits, distracted by annoying beeps of unknown import, in unpredictable weather and conditions, with no buddy to help should things go sideways—yep it’s most dangerous thing I do for scuba: Florida Solo Driving.

Harumph!?!

I'd be more afraid of some insta buddy or random vacation diver on a cattle boat trying to drown me in a panic than I would diving solo and relying on my skills, equipment and mindset.

Consider this... You said solo diving scares you. According to DAN, after medical, the leading cause of diving fatalities is buddy separation. In other words, when divers who are so heavily dependent on being with a buddy, suddenly are not, things go south.

Ok I love you guys, I can’t mess with you any more. AndcI am hopefully about to get my solo cert soon. I wrote a tricky post, look closer, I said Solo Driving, not solo diving. I have to drive like 7 hours to get to the good stuff!

Ok I love you guys, I can’t mess with you any more. AndcI am hopefully about to get my solo cert soon. I wrote a tricky post, look closer, I said Solo Driving, not solo diving. I have to drive like 7 hours to get to the good stuff!
Driving is definitely more dangerous.

Near Miami on like a 6 lane freeway where everyone was going about 100 miles an hour I saw a couple of cars sideswipe right in front of me. They just kept going. Maybe neither one had insurance. And people think WE take risks. I breathe a big sigh of relief when I am nice and safe underwater:)

Back
Top Bottom