Shearwater Teric

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi @Ukmc and others
Have you recorded your vote in the Teric poll? Teric owners, have you required repair or replacement service?

Just did. Thank you for bringing that thread to my attention.
I am surprised how many people have had some type of issue with their Teric. However, I love how it looks, I love the options and how easy it is to access them. I love the size and now love their customer service. I would buy one over and over. I think when the manufacturer says we got you no matter what - it speaks volumes. They got me. I buy a lot of stuff from my LDS even when it is cheaper on line because I like their culture and ... customer service and it means tons to me that they also got my back no matter what the product is.
I would hate for someone who is out on the market for a new computer to overlook Teric because some have had issues. It is the BEST dive computer I have used!

Jay

The best place to hit any unsatisfactory performance from anyone is in their pocket book...

W...

Yes, with most typical businesses, but SW didn't commence like a typical business and their current ethos is unique.

But, yes, I'd prefer to see them put P&L $ into new products and cool firmware instead of replacing units.

Yes, with most typical businesses, but SW didn't commence like a typical business and their current ethos is unique.

But, yes, I'd prefer to see them put P&L $ into new products and cool firmware instead of replacing units.

Jay...

Not unique...and by no means new...it's ''old frontier style''...commonly referred to as ''money for old rope''...

''New products''...and ''cool firmware''...there's a need to get the existing products right first...

W...

Who does not have teething problems with their new smartwatch-sized hardware line? DeepBlu? SEAC? Seabear?

To preface, I have a Perdix AI and love it.

Given all the Teric issues I have read and heard about (what feels like regularly), I’ve been quite surprised about how understanding people have been with all the issues. Some people have even had repeated issues and at inopportune times. Shearwater has always taken care of issues quickly and professionally without fuss which is awesome. However, I sometimes ask myself how it would play out if all the issues happened in a dive computer with a different company. I think their customer service speaks volumes and really helps move the needle but at the same time, I wonder if people would be nearly as forgiving about it if it were with another brand, even with the same customer service level. I can’t help but think the tone would be very different and that all this is actually a great reflection of the brand and following they have built through customer service and what has historically been an output of solid and reputable products.

I agree with you. But, I think that one of the reasons that there hasn't been a huge fuss is because I have the impression that very few people have actually missed dives or had trips ruined because of their issues.

I'm about to send off a Teric for service because the battery doesn't hold a charge like it should (and used to). But, it still lasts plenty long enough to get through at least 2 full days of diving without being recharged. So, I have not missed a dive or had to thumb a dive because of it.

If I had missed any dives, then I might feel pretty differently about Shearwater's foray into watch-sized computers.

I have seen a FEW reports that were worse problems, that maybe did ruin a dive or even cause missed dives. But, from the various anecdotes I have read, I think MOST of the issues are ones like mine, that didn't ruin anybody's dives.

And if you get to do all your dives and the repair/replacement is quick and easy, I think most people are reasonable enough that they wouldn't get too fussed about it.

If you send the Teric in for service due to it not holding a charge (battery issue?) what is the remedy? A new battery with a different design than the original??

If you send the Teric in for service due to it not holding a charge (battery issue?) what is the remedy? A new battery with a different design than the original??
The first one I had they sent a new one, when that one started to show the same charge issue I asked them to repair it rather than replace, I had it back in hand (same one because there was a little chip on the screen protector) in a few days they replaced the battery and the pressure sensor, I charged it two weeks ago and I leave it off (turn it off with the light button) and I just looked at it and it’s at 100%, my other one that has not been repaired or replaced (bought used) it is at 94%, perfectly acceptable standby drain and amazing one the first one.

One thing I’ve done it to only charge when it’s well below 50%, low 40% range usually, I no longer use any charger other than the factory one and that is plugged into an I phone power source or a battery pack. I don’t know if or why the flat charger I use for the phone was an issue or not but better safe than sorry. I much prefer the sealed unit with wireless charging over something that gets opened and closed to switch a battery, that’s just me but more failsafe as far as my screwing it up.

I believe that have solved the battery issue but haven’t any idea what that involved.

Back
Top Bottom