Shearwater Teric and Transmitter Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As to mounting the transmitter, both mine and my wife's is attached directly to the 1st stage. I've had mine like that for 5 or 6 years without incident. I think that in the early days of hoseless AI transmitters, there may have been some instances of boat personnel not knowing and grabbing them like a handle. But they are in such wide use today the chances of that happening are quite low.

And BTW, we both carry our reg sets in carry-on now because I had a set to go missing from my checked luggage on a return trip from Coz a few years ago.

Concerning the transmitters interfering with each other, as I understand the Pelagic transmitters, because you have to input the transmitters serial number into the DC, the computer will receive the signal from that transmitter only. I have the Oceanic OCi which uses the same transmitter as Shearwaters and my wife has the Oceanic VT 4.1 and we've never had a problem with one interfering with the other. Is it possible that interference can happen? I suppose, but it seems it would be highly unlikely. We did have Suunto computers before switching for which you have to pair them and choose a channel for the computer to read. If both of our computers happened to be on the same channel, then they can have a problem. We actually had to end a dive once because our computers had gotten on the same channel and hers stopped reading her pressure about 8 minutes into the dive second dive. After we surfaced and the computer cleared the dive, I was able to change channels on hers and all was well after that.

I think for 2 dives, no issues. On a liveaboard with 4-5 dives a day, I would be charging it between dives.
That’s the nice thing about Teric. I carry my iPhone wireless charging pad (Yootech). I can just put the Teric on it overnight and it’s 100% charged by morning. Welcome to 21st century technology. :wink:

So instead of upgrading regulators, I decided to buy a 1st stage attachment (by XS Scuba) to give me 2 HP outputs.

Does anyone have a pic of this set up? Anyone had any issues with this?

Thanks!

The yellow transmitter is supposed to transmit at a different interval than the gray ne. Unless you turn two gray ones on at exactly the same time, they won't be transmitting at the same interval either.
I think you mean they won't be transmitting at the same TIME, not INTERVAL. When you turn them on doesn't change their transmit interval.

Before you go for the splitter thingie (which appear to cost around fifty bucks), I'd recommend going on a dive with just the transmitter, and see how it goes. With my transmitter on the right side and my Teric on my right wrist, every now and then the computer will briefly lose communication with the transmitter. No big deal, but if the transmitter was on the left side, I imagine that problem would be a little worse. Since your HP port is on the left side, you might want to see if this is an issue at all.

Although, come to think of it, you might want to try mounting the 1st stage upside down, with the transmitter is on the right side instead of the left. If all the other hoses route nicely, then you'd be in business. If you do end up using a splitter off the left side and use the computer on your right hand, you might end up adding a little HP hose for the transmitter anyway, in order to position the transmitter on the right side of your body.

Best of luck, I'm sure you and your wife will be happy with your new computers. I know I am :)

Before you go for the splitter thingie (which appear to cost around fifty bucks), I'd recommend going on a dive with just the transmitter, and see how it goes. With my transmitter on the right side and my Teric on my right wrist, every now and then the computer will briefly lose communication with the transmitter. No big deal, but if the transmitter was on the left side, I imagine that problem would be a little worse. Since your HP port is on the left side, you might want to see if this is an issue at all.

Although, come to think of it, you might want to try mounting the 1st stage upside down, with the transmitter is on the right side instead of the left. If all the other hoses route nicely, then you'd be in business. If you do end up using a splitter off the left side and use the computer on your right hand, you might end up adding a little HP hose for the transmitter anyway, in order to position the transmitter on the right side of your body.

Best of luck, I'm sure you and your wife will be happy with your new computers. I know I am :)

Thanks! In both of our cases, we wear the PC on the left arm, and the transmitters will be left side, so i will test them both in my neighbors pool before we head out in May!

I used to have my transmitter on a 6" hose. The HP hose recently sprung a leak and I'm going to try going with the transmitter plugged directly into the 1st stage. My HP ports are angled down and my transmitter will be quite shielded with my long and short LP hoses above it. I believe the chances of it getting grabbed, hit or jarred is pretty low. Time will tell.

I did not take the time to read all the posts, and I am sure this duplicates many people, but my family of divers puts transmitters on hoses. We have used AI computers for years and we did not mount transmitters for the first three transmitters that were broken mysteriously. Since we moved them to hoses, the breakage has stopped. I have yet to find a downside to the short hose.

The risk almost certainly differs depending on where you dive, what dive ops you use, etc. I know some say they have never had a transmitter mishandled, but I have had it happen and seen it happen. In some places, the boat crews are less sophisticated than other places, and in some environmental situations, gear gets handled roughly. Some people say it is not a problem but some of them have never dived where you have to hand your tank up in choppy water to guy who does not speak your language and who is trying to rapidly haul the tank and BC over the gunwale of small boat as it is pitching and rolling.

Anyway, to me a hose is cheap insurance for a fairly expensive and fragile device.

Back
Top Bottom