Shearwater Teric and Transmitter Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcohen1021

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi guys,

So we stepped up into the new millennium and each got a Shearwater Teric and transmitter. I had a few general questions regarding install, travel, and use.

1. Do the majority of people plug the transmitter directly into the hp port of their 1st stage? I feel like the transmitter and port will take a beating this way.
  2. Does anyone use a 6” hp hose to mount their transmitter?
  3. When traveling, do you remove the transmitter from the 1st stage or do you carry the regulator on your carry on?
  4. Do you trust the transmitter to not fail or do you have a regulator with 2 HP ports and have an analog backup? Both of our regulators only have 1 HP port.
  5. It appears that I can monitor my wife's air by setting up the T2 on the Teric. How far is the range? Curious if anyone else does this.
We have 2 other divers in the family, so I can always use the 2 old regulators for them when they vacay with us, so all is not lost.

I was looking at the Cressi Compact MC9 – opinions?

Thanks for any feedback

Why would you need to monitor your wife’s air?

Maybe not the right way to phrase it. She knows what she's doing. I guess my point in that was that I would never have to wonder or ask her how she was doing air wise. If I wondered how much air she had left, I'd know by looking at the T2 info.

Hi guys,

So we stepped up into the new millennium and each got a Shearwater Teric and transmitter. I had a few general questions regarding install, travel, and use.

1. Do the majority of people plug the transmitter directly into the hp port of their 1st stage? I feel like the transmitter and port will take a beating this way.
  2. Does anyone use a 6” hp hose to mount their transmitter?
  3. When traveling, do you remove the transmitter from the 1st stage or do you carry the regulator on your carry on?
  4. Do you trust the transmitter to not fail or do you have a regulator with 2 HP ports and have an analog backup? Both of our regulators only have 1 HP port.
  5. It appears that I can monitor my wife's air by setting up the T2 on the Teric. How far is the range? Curious if anyone else does this.
We have 2 other divers in the family, so I can always use the 2 old regulators for them when they vacay with us, so all is not lost.

I was looking at the Cressi Compact MC9 – opinions?

Thanks for any feedback
1. I do
2. I don’t
3. Usually carry on, somethings I remove the transmitter
4. I trust it but also bring a second one on a back up reg set
5 ?

Do the majority of people plug the transmitter directly into the hp port of their 1st stage? I feel like the transmitter and port will take a beating this way.
Can't speak for anyone else, but I have mine mounted directly - open to hearing rationale of a short hose, but I think having a mini-flail on the first stage would be more beatings, not less.

Do you trust the transmitter to not fail or do you have a regulator with 2 HP ports and have an analog backup? Both of our regulators only have 1 HP port.

To quote the manual:
"This computer will fail. It is not whether it will fail but when it will fail. Do not depend on it. Always have a plan on how to handle failures"
"Always use a backup analog submersible pressure gauge as a redundant source of gas pressure information"

I happen to have regs with 2 HP ports, but there are splitters for those that only have one.

It appears that I can monitor my wife's air by setting up the T2 on the Teric. How far is the range? Curious if anyone else does this.
The range (1m) is not high enough to monitor a buddy's air supply, unless you're scuba diving like tandem skydivers.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I have mine mounted directly - open to hearing rationale of a short hose, but I think having a mini-flail on the first stage would be more beatings, not less.

Main reason why everyone mounts it on a short 6" HP hose is because everyone else especially boat crew think the transmitter is a handle and they really like to pick up the full weight of the tank+your gear with it. I'm sure if you do a quick search you can find hundred of pics of bent transmitters.

Do the majority of people plug the transmitter directly into the hp port of their 1st stage? I feel like the transmitter and port will take a beating this way?

I keep my transmitter on 1st stage directly, no hose, have not had a problem in 2 years.

Does anyone use a 6” hp hose to mount their transmitter?

I do not

When traveling, do you remove the transmitter from the 1st stage or do you carry the regulator on your carry on?

no, I roll up with reg set in padded reg bag. No problem yet

Do you trust the transmitter to not fail or do you have a regulator with 2 HP ports and have an analog backup? Both of our regulators only have 1 HP port.

if you only have one HP port you don’t have a lot of choices unless you get an HP port splitter. I generally only use the transmitter on single set, if it fails the dive is over. I carry a spare transmitter with me in my save a dive kit.

It appears that I can monitor my wife's air by setting up the T2 on the Teric. How far is the range? Curious if anyone else does this.

range is not practical, under 10 feet in practice. Mares and ratio offer a xmitter with lights on them to indicate green amber red for tank pressures but those xmitters are not comparable with Teric. I have used 2 transmiiters but on main tank and on stage bottle.

The Teric allows for multiple transmitters, so if I input her transmitter info, I could see her tank pressure if I was close enough.

I have thought of that too... What I was thinking if it is more of a beating with the small hose or it taking a beating plugged directy into the port getting in/out, other people possibly handling your gear, etc.

To quote the manual:
"This computer will fail. It is not whether it will fail but when it will fail. Do not depend on it. Always have a plan on how to handle failures"
"Always use a backup analog submersible pressure gauge as a redundant source of gas pressure information"

I happen to have regs with 2 HP ports, but there are splitters for those that only have one.

Thanks for that!

The range (1m) is not high enough to monitor a buddy's air supply, unless you're scuba diving like tandem skydivers.

LOL, i guess that would have been the case her 1st year or 2 until she got comfortable with it all :D

Main reason why everyone mounts it on a short 6" HP hose is because everyone else especially boat crew think the transmitter is a handle and they really like to pick up the full weight of the tank+your gear with it. I'm sure if you do a quick search you can find hundred of pics of bent transmitters.

This was part of my thought process too

Main reason why everyone mounts it on a short 6" HP hose is because everyone else especially boat crew think the transmitter is a handle. I'm sure if you do a quick search you can find hundred of pics of bent transmitters.
Ugh, thanks for the warning (haven't been on a boat with this setup yet).

So is 6" typical, or something longer to bungee down / keep from knocking about?.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom