Shearwater perdix AI vs oceanic oci suggestions

Which one

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flatsbrats

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm fairly new to diving just got my aow A few weeks ago. That being said I am looking for a computer I can grow with. I think I have narrowed it between the perdix AI and the oci. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I think a mod will probably move this to a different forum but my .02 is the Shearwater. Let me say that I have NO experience with the OCI and it may be as good or better. I can only say that I have been NOTHING but happy with my Shearwater AI.

It is hard to compare the OCI to the Shearwater. The OCI is more along the lines of a watch which is more comparable to Uwatec's/ScubaPro's Mantis or Suunto's D series.

The Perdix is much larger in size. A more comparable computer would be Uwatec's G2 or Suunto's Eon Steel.

Over the past few years I have shied away from watch computers because they are harder to read and they don't fit well with drysuits without extensions making it a pain to go back and forth with wetsuits or rash guards. While traveling the big watch made me stick out and drew too much attention.

The Perdix AI is a nice computer. I voted other because I prefer the Luna from Uwatec. I have both computers. The Luna is not as conservative and the battery life is much much better while diving in cold water. The battery in my Luna will last a couple of hundred dives on one battery where as my Perdix it will last for maybe a dozen. When I had the Petrel, which I sold, the battery lasted three dives at the most during the winter. The color display on the Perdix is very nice, although hard to read in the shallows on a bright sunny day. The Luna and Uwatec's new G2 is very very intuitive which makes it nice to use.

I think you are going to find most recommendations here are going to be Shearwater and a BP/W.

That being said, the above is what I use and I couldn't be happier.

The OCi and the Perdix AI cost about the same. The OCi is small and watch style. It runs DSAT and PZ+, both fine for recreational diving, the former quite liberal, the latter, middle of the road. Not acceptable for technical diving. The Perdix AI is considerably larger. It runs Buhlmann ZH-L16C with GFs, fine for recreational or technical diving (along with trimix support). It has a rec mode for easy use to begin with. They both use the same transmitter.

So it really depends on what you want and what you need. Future plans may play a role in your decision making.

The Perdix AI is a nice computer. I voted other because I prefer the Luna from Uwatec. I have both computers. The Luna is not as conservative...

Hi @shurite7

I don't understand this comment, what GFs are you using on your Perdix? The Luna runs proprietary Buhlmann ZH-L8 ADT, at baseline, a middle of the road decompression algorithm. The Perdix AI has 3 preset rec modes, 45/95 being quite liberal, not too much different than DSAT. It also has custom GFs if none of the presets are acceptable.

Hi @shurite7

I don't understand this comment, what GFs are you using on your Perdix? The Luna runs proprietary Buhlmann ZH-L8 ADT, at baseline, a middle of the road decompression algorithm. The Perdix AI has 3 preset rec modes, 45/95 being quite liberal, not too much different than DSAT. It also has custom GFs if none of the presets are acceptable.

Factory settings. I did not change any of the GFs and there is a difference between the two, especially when going deep (recreational). The Perdix is much more conservative. Almost all of my diving this summer has been teaching so I haven't taken the chance to play with the GF settings on my Perdix, which I bought in the early summer. Now that I can dive for my own fun I'll play with the GF settings.

I'd only run the OCI if you're going to also wear it as a watch on the surface. If you aren't, then the Perdix, isn't even a question.

The battery life is a LOT shorter than most other computers because it runs off of a AA battery and it has a big, full color display vs a casio watch screen. It isn't even close to a fair fight. They could have put a rechargeable battery in there to get more burn time, but even at the report of 3 dives in the winter, it's a AA, use a rechargeable and swap it each night, isn't that big of a deal

Everybody

I sure appreciate the input. I was fixing to pull the trigger on the oci last night and thought better of it and creating this post has sure gave me some insight. That Being said, for those of you who have or have used the perdix, I have been researching the interwebs and I have a few things I have not been able to find and I cannot do d a dive shop within 200 miles of me that has the perdix in stock to check it out any time soon.

1) in regards to the dive planner after my first dive, and all consecutive dives, does the planner take into account n2 loading and off gassing while on the surface. And does it give you the option to check what dives would look like at certain SI's?

2) as far as size goes my fiance has fairly small hands and wrists. With the bungees would this be an option for her? Or should I look elsewhere. I would like to have relative same alg. So our dive times could be similar as most of the time we are each other's buddy. Also that way we know how to operate and read each other's dcs at a glance. Also if we decided to have an extra sensor it would work for either or.

Everybody

I sure appreciate the input. I was fixing to pull the trigger on the oci last night and thought better of it and creating this post has sure gave me some insight. That Being said, for those of you who have or have used the perdix, I have been researching the interwebs and I have a few things I have not been able to find and I cannot do d a dive shop within 200 miles of me that has the perdix in stock to check it out any time soon.

1) in regards to the dive planner after my first dive, and all consecutive dives, does the planner take into account n2 loading and off gassing while on the surface. And does it give you the option to check what dives would look like at certain SI's?

2) as far as size goes my fiance has fairly small hands and wrists. With the bungees would this be an option for her? Or should I look elsewhere. I would like to have relative same alg. So our dive times could be similar as most of the time we are each other's buddy. Also that way we know how to operate and read each other's dcs at a glance. Also if we decided to have an extra sensor it would work for either or.

1) yes, the planner will ask if you want to plan to dive NOW or later
2) yes, with the bungees it should fit most. I tried it on my wifes nearly too skinny wrists and it held in place (Ive got the petrel, bit larger) so the perdix should be fine

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom