Question Shearwater Perdix AI Aluminum Protective Frame

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TravelGas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Does anyone have any expereience with the aluminum protective frame that is available in 7 different colors to protect your Perdix from life bumps and scratches ? Any thoughts on it ?

What’s the point? They’re dive computers not fragile family heirlooms. They are built to take a significant beating. I just sent my Perdix AI in for its recommended general maintenance. It is 4 years old. I have a hard time even finding a scratch on the case and the only thing on the screen is a slight smudge mark on the screen protector. The face plate and window/screen are replaced at general maintenance.

Personally, I’ve never seen a point for these things.

I use one on one of my Teric’s, they do add some protection and color but not necessary
8D4E9600-230D-4246-A1BA-32EAAC358D67.jpeg

they are with it if you like the look and it may stop some damage.

A little vanity, a little protection, and also how to differentiate family members stuff or yours in a group setting...
1643550990026.jpeg

Adding some bling and being able to tell yours from other family members by color ... that makes sense. For protection? Pretty much a waste of money. Added protection is just not necessary. I do like the bling/color differentiation though!

Adding some bling and being able to tell yours from other family members by color ... that makes sense. For protection? Pretty much a waste of money. Added protection is just not necessary. I do like the bling/color differentiation though!
So I guess you need colorful stickers:wink:

I bought my Petrel 1 a long time before those frame were made, got a few bumps and a few minor scratches, but nothing to worry about (there's a film protector on the screen).

My Petrel 2 came fitted with a frame. This computer is hard wired to my CCR (no disconnection is possible) and I must say it's a relief. I fear the computer is more exposed to ill treatments, not while diving, but while sailing to the diving spot. The Atlantic can be less than cooperative some times...

My 2 cents.

Full discIosure: I am the US distributor for these and we supply Dive Right In SCUBA (DRIS) and all the US Resellers with the AMX covers. If you know want to see them in your shop send me a PM.

While the Shearwater computer is super robust these covers do work and will prevent scratches to the screen. While the scratches and wear marks effect your computers performance absolutely not; Shearwater makes an incredible product.

Will the covers help them from scratches during transport or grinding through cave restrictions and wrecks the simple answer is yes. As mentioned above they will also help you identify your computer and add a little color to your life.

We have sold thousands in the last year and none have been returned so I think that says something...

Just to set the record straight, DGX does not sell or recommend this product.

Over the years we have seen a variety of aftermarket products cause weird problems such as inaccurate depth readings, inaccurate electronic compass readings, and in particular for dissimilar metals in close proximity ... various types of rapid galvanic corrosion issues.

Quoting from our FAQ...

-------------

What about after market protectors, covers and mounts for my dive computer?

There are a variety of aftermarket frames, covers and bull-bars for dive computers that are available on Amazon, eBay, Etsy, and even at some dive retailers. Although these aftermarket accessories may enhance the cosmetic appearance of the device, in our experience they do not provide any significant additional protection. Dive computer manufacturers may not warrant their devices when used with the untested aftermarket covers as they have been known to obstruct, obscure or even damage the computer functions. There are also aftermarket 3D printed mounts for dive computers, again untested with the possibility of causing malfunction or even the loss of a device.

We have consulted with the manufacturers of the dive computers we sell and learned they express disdain for these aftermarket products. Our dive computer manufacturers tell us that they have delivered the best possible product and appropriate accessories after extensive research and development. The fact is, the addition of these aftermarket products cause more problems than any dubious benefits they may provide. Thus Dive Gear Express, as a respected major retailer for all the dive computers we carry, does not recommend or sell unapproved aftermarket dive computer accessories for this critical piece of life support equipment.

--------------

Just to set the record straight, DGX does not sell or recommend this product.

Over the years we have seen a variety of aftermarket products cause weird problems such as inaccurate depth readings, inaccurate electronic compass readings, and in particular for dissimilar metals in close proximity ... various types of rapid galvanic corrosion issues.

Quoting from our FAQ...

-------------

What about after market protectors, covers and mounts for my dive computer?

There are a variety of aftermarket frames, covers and bull-bars for dive computers that are available on Amazon, eBay, Etsy, and even at some dive retailers. Although these aftermarket accessories may enhance the cosmetic appearance of the device, in our experience they do not provide any significant additional protection. Dive computer manufacturers may not warrant their devices when used with the untested aftermarket covers as they have been known to obstruct, obscure or even damage the computer functions. There are also aftermarket 3D printed mounts for dive computers, again untested with the possibility of causing malfunction or even the loss of a device.

We have consulted with the manufacturers of the dive computers we sell and learned they express disdain for these aftermarket products. Our dive computer manufacturers tell us that they have delivered the best possible product and appropriate accessories after extensive research and development. The fact is, the addition of these aftermarket products cause more problems than any dubious benefits they may provide. Thus Dive Gear Express, as a respected major retailer for all the dive computers we carry, does not recommend or sell unapproved aftermarket dive computer accessories for this critical piece of life support equipment.

--------------

My apologies guys. While I do not agree with the post written here especially for the AMX Products I incorrectly listed you guys as a dealer. I can see we have sold thousands of these with absolutely none of the issues listed above and dive them daily on some of the most demanding dives in the world.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and as one of the industry leaders we obviously respect yours as well.

Have a great day!

Back
Top Bottom