Shearwater live streaming update July 23

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Peregrine is perfectly fine as a technical diving computer. Why are some people being so dismissive of its capabilities? Because it doesn't have a feature that the gatekeepers and purists balked at before the Perdix AI was released?

No. Because it doesn’t support Trimix.

No. Because it doesn’t support Trimix.
So when do people actually start using trimix? If not on some hero to zero path of death you would expect quite a lot of dives first that do not require trimix. This computer is perfect for those and adequate for heliox level dives. It takes quite a lot of helium to make much/any difference. If there is a slate plan, bump the GF of the computer down a bit and it will be slightly more conservative than the helium plan.

Really though, most of OC accelerated deco diving is not helium.

If you can afford to dive trimix you can afford a Perdix of Petrel.
Trimix is a crutch for people that can’t handle their narcosis anyway. Quit flexing and let us poors be happy. :wink:

Be that as it may, I was just answering your question. Don't shoot the messenger. :wink:

So when do people actually start using trimix? If not on some hero to zero path of death you would expect quite a lot of dives first that do not require trimix. This computer is perfect for those and adequate for heliox level dives. It takes quite a lot of helium to make much/any difference. If there is a slate plan, bump the GF of the computer down a bit and it will be slightly more conservative than the helium plan.

None of that would (or did) make any difference to me.

If I am going to buy a computer because I'm starting down a technical path and my Zoop is no longer adequate, I am going to buy a computer that supports trimix.

If a person KNOWS that they will never dive with trimix, then it would make sense to not spend up for a trimix-capable computer. But, how many people who are STARTING down the technical path KNOW where it is going to take them? And, to paraphrase Father, if you can afford all the other requirements of accelerated deco tech diving, you can afford a trimix-capable computer.

Even though most OC tech diving does not include helium, I see it as a case of if you need it once, you need it. As well, if you're going to the trouble and expense to get properly trained to dive with helium, it seems silly to only actually dive with it once. I.e. if you need it once, you'll probably need it again.

If you want Trimix than Perdix, Perdix AI or Teric is the computer. Full stop. IF you want a lower cost option that will still support Advanced Nitrox/Deco level technical diving for training and initial experience, many may choose the Peregrine to save $400-$900 (depending upon model and transmitter or not) so that they can put that toward training or other gear requirements. It provides another path forward.

So when do people actually start using trimix? ... you would expect quite a lot of dives first that do not require trimix. This computer is perfect for those and adequate for heliox level dives. It takes quite a lot of helium to make much/any difference. If there is a slate plan, bump the GF of the computer down a bit and it will be slightly more conservative than the helium plan.

The max I’d expect to dive is a trace of helium (Helitrox) to expend my no-narced range a bit, and I’m pre-AN/DP. If a trace does not chance the calculations much, and you can compensate, the Peregrine looks very nice. If I went further or want AI, it could be a good backup. I had worried about tracking O2 accurately, but obviously you can do that part fine.

Plus there were discussions that the helium penalty might be a more accurate model even in the absence of He. But I have not been following those discussions.

If I am going to buy a computer because I'm starting down a technical path and my Zoop is no longer adequate, I am going to buy a computer that supports trimix.

That's the question I guess someone would need to ask themselves. Everyone has their own motivations and goals that will either put them into a Perdix/Teric/Petrel, Peregrine, or some inferior computer. :wink:

how many people who are STARTING down the technical path KNOW where it is going to take them? And, to paraphrase Father, if you can afford all the other requirements of accelerated deco tech diving, you can afford a trimix-capable computer.

Even though most OC tech diving does not include helium, I see it as a case of if you need it once, you need it.

Can't argue that. Which kind of brings us back to what was discussed earlier in this thread. Why not make the Peregrine upgradeable to Trimix? It's just software. Shearwater did this with VPM. Pay more, get more in the same computer. Because it will hurt sales of the Perdix? That computer still has the digital compass... not sure what else.

Why not make the Peregrine upgradeable to Trimix? It's just software.

If they do that they will replace some more sales of $900 Perdix computers with $450 Peregrines. For some of those they might sell a $100 (guess) trimix upgrade. Maybe they will eventually do that but I would guess they will wait until they want to kill the Perdix form factor.

Says the man who has bought and replaced more computers than anyone else on the board :)

If a person KNOWS that they will never dive with trimix, then it would make sense to not spend up for a trimix-capable computer. But, how many people who are STARTING down the technical path KNOW where it is going to take them? And, to paraphrase Father, if you can afford all the other requirements of accelerated deco tech diving, you can afford a trimix-capable computer.

On average though they don’t actually get to trimix, so on average they will be better off. And being a Shearwater it will have excellent resale value, so the upgrade cost will not be like throwing it away.

Even though most OC tech diving does not include helium, I see it as a case of if you need it once, you need it. As well, if you're going to the trouble and expense to get properly trained to dive with helium, it seems silly to only actually dive with it once. I.e. if you need it once, you'll probably need it again.

Well, any sane person will just do The Helitrox course rather than ANDP (or the equivalent pair of courses outside of TDI) and get a 20/35 ticket essentially for nothing. Especially in the world where that is the first experience of deco diving many people will go no farther and likely only very rarely be actually buying trimix. Doing full trimix is a different deal and a bit more serious, and then I might agree that a Perdix is better, but imagine a Perdix backed up by a Peregrine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom