Shearwater live streaming update July 23

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Somebody posted in one of the other threads that there was a rumor of a "mid-priced" device.

I think the post got deleted because it was in the Manufacturer's forum, so Shearwater has control and can delete whatever they want.

Anyway, if that rumor is true, my guess is a less-expensive version of a Perdix that is OC Rec mode-only. I have no guess as to whether it would be AI or not. Maybe a version of each?

I wonder if they're going back to the model they used to have of selling computers with locked features, and then selling unlock/upgrades? So, maybe a stripped-down Perdix and Perdix AI, with an option to buy an upgrade to the full Trimix/OC Tec/CCR version of the firmware later. That would be a pretty sweet way to address the "new divers should only buy a recreational computer" crowd and the "buy something that is futureproof" crowd and the "Shearwaters are too expensive for newbies" crowd all at the same time.

Maybe with a GPS thrown in to sweeten the pot even for existing Perdix(AI) owners, too?

I wonder if they're going back to the model they used to have of selling computers with locked features, and then selling unlock/upgrades? So, maybe a stripped-down Perdix and Perdix AI, with an option to buy an upgrade to the full Trimix/OC Tec/CCR version of the firmware later. That would be a pretty sweet way to address the "new divers should only buy a recreational computer" crowd and the "buy something that is futureproof" crowd and the "Shearwaters are too expensive for newbies" crowd all at the same time.
I love that idea!

Maybe with a GPS thrown in to sweeten the pot even for existing Perdix(AI) owners, too?
I doubt the existing hardware would have the capability to do GPS. It's not just a software thing.

I love that idea!

I doubt the existing hardware would have the capability to do GPS. It's not just a software thing.

i was not assuming they would keep the hardware identical. In fact, I doubt they will.

i was not assuming they would keep the hardware identical. In fact, I doubt they will.
Oh... I see what you mean. I thought you meant an upgrade to exiting units for GPS. I now see you mean existing owners to buy the new computer.

Shearwater has built its brand on no compromise technical computers (with great after sales support), they then increased their market share by adding "recrationional features" such as AI and bringing out a watch size format.

All the time they've maintained theri high end price point. While bringing out a mid level computer (price wise) surely has advantages with the additional sales opportunities, but additional volume always brings the potential of downsides with support and if there is a QC issues cause by volume then that can damage the brand

Currently they're an aspirational brand - sure its a capable computer, but so are others for less money - their brand name has value

I'm sure Rolls Royce could build a $50,000 entry model - to compete directly with other German brands - but they won't because their brand is built on exclusivity

I'm not saying the same about Shearwater just using an extreme anagogy to make a point.

Certainly mid range would be good. In my location outside the US teh D5 flies off the shelves because its a colour screen and a much lower price point than Teric (and perdix)

But then - I think Perdix is long in the tooth with out dated menus and screen (compared with its competitors)

The only certainty I have is I would not bet hard money predicting what teh SW announcement would b, given that previously the community has been 100% wrong and SW always surprise

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom