Shearwater Gradient Factors=DSAT?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquacat8

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone know which gradient factors my Shearwater diving buddies would set to match my DSAT? My buddies are lucky enough to have Shearwaters!

Are the Shearwaters in rec mode or tec mode? If they are diving rec mode I would guess the low setting would most closely match if you are just trying to match up NDL's. They are easy to set and then use to dive planner to see how they match up. Personally I dive my Perdix on medium and I don't worry if it matches on NDL. Nothing wrong with being a little more conservative. Just my opinion.

@scubadada has done a lot of algorithm comparison if I remember correctly. He'd be the one to ask.

here's my opinion. Each diver should dive the algorithm they are most comfortable diving. If that means different algorithms, then you need to agree to dive the most conservative profile. You set your computer to whatever conservatism you are most comfortable with, they set whatever gradient factors they are comfortable with, and you go dive. I don't really subscribe to set your computer to match your buddies

You’re right of course I was just curious how they compare.

depends on single day vs extended week like on a liveaboard. single day, dsat is slightly more liberal than SW rec low iirc. on an extended week, day 2 they are fairly close, then it reverses around day 3 and SW rec low gives a bit more NDL. this is comparing a petrel with a vt4.

depends on single day vs extended week like on a liveaboard. single day, dsat is slightly more liberal than SW rec low iirc. on an extended week, day 2 they are fairly close, then it reverses around day 3 and SW rec low gives a bit more NDL. this is comparing a petrel with a vt4.
Thanks, that’s very informative answer!

Its not just a question of different conservative setting but ultimately different algorithms, DSAT vs Buhlmann so they will never completely match and as tbone pointed out its best to just dive the settings you feel best for you.

That said. If you stick to rec mode your only choice to most closely match is conservative set to low. (45/95). If you elect tech mode you can futher adjust the low conservative setting up to more closely match the DSAT that has not ben modified for additional conservatism. In another thread I believe @stuartv suggested 90/95? Gradient Factors and recreational diving

Here is another relevant thread...

Algorithm question (Perdix AI vs DSAT)

Hi @aquacat8

I have a couple hundred dives with my Oceanic VT3 running DSAT and a Dive Rite Nitek Q running Buhlmann ZH-L16C with GF.

The short answer is that a GF hi of 95, Shearwater rec low conservatism 45/95, is the best match. The long answer is that it is impossible to really match the two algorithms as they behave differently. On a clean dive or 1st dive of the day, DSAT is more liberal than Buhlmann. On subsequent dives of the day, Buhlmann becomes more liberal. DSAT tends to be more liberal on deeper dives, Buhlmann on shallower dives. I end up diving my Nitek Q on a GF hi of 90-100 if I want the computers to approximately match. Often, I leave just leave the Nitek Q on a GF hi of 95 and dive the more conservative of the two for no stop diving. The 2 computers handle light deco very similarly. I usually leave my GF lo at 75, both computers tend to give the short deco all at 10 feet

Best of luck and good diving, Craig

Back
Top Bottom