Matching GF between main and backup computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

… GUE teaches you to keep up with the latest research.

Citation and examples please.

Whose research does GUE prefer? I wasn’t pointed towards any specific sources nor does it seem like my GUE buddies are modifying their behavior based off of latest research.

Whose research does GUE prefer? I wasn’t pointed towards any specific sources nor does it seem like my GUE buddies are modifying their behavior based off of latest research.
Who better to quote than JJ himself?

JJ on GUE policies regarding Gradient Factors:

During the early 2000’s, GUE developed a reference standard based upon Buhlmann algorithms. The intent was to ensure divers reference profiles with the most successful history. From this base, consideration for team control and unity during ascent, as well as the potential utility of bubble control were considered. Balancing these factors resulted in a gradient factor of 20/85. These settings will not only result in deeper stops but will also account for these stops with additional decompression time.
Current research challenges the value of deep stops, suggesting they may be less efficient. GUE has been slow to adjust parameters for dives conducted during training because the relatively short profiles of students and their need to gain proficiency with a controlled ascent speaks against the value of faster ascents and/or shorter total decompression time. Balancing the experience in our community, while considering the most useful priorities for students, supports a deeper gradient than might be otherwise encouraged by developing research.
GUE protocols maintain a 20/85 reference gradient for training dives where the priority is ascent training and team refinement and where a slight increase in additional decompression time is not problematic. As divers gain experience. they are free to adjust gradients in a way that is suitable to the team while considering personal experience, team preference, mission objectives, and evolving research.

Reactions: OTF

Who better to quote than JJ himself?

Other agencies do the same, nothing peculiar to GUE, at least for NAUI.

I confirm that GUE seems to be realled bloqued on their 20/85 ! They still consider it as a reference when presenting their new deco software and not only for trimix dives.
I find it super misleading for beginner tekkies.
Time : 6:30 of this video

Does PADI recommend or require GFs for its technical courses? Does TDI?

I and every tech instructor whom I personally know what they teach teaches use of Buhlmann with Gradient Factors. But, the TDI standards and procedures documents for Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Procedures are agnostic with regard to what algorithm is used. If an instructor wanted to, I believe they could teach the combined AN and DP courses based solely on Navy Air and O2 decompression schedules.

Nobody does that, but I think standards would allow it. In other words, as an agency, TDI does not recommend or require GFs (as far as I know). But, all the TDI instructors I know do.

Does PADI recommend or require GFs for its technical courses? Does TDI?
Nope. Nothing official about GF. For Tec dives, so far, they informed all instructors via a training bulletin that deep stops are not recommended any more by the latest studies but Padi still allows instructors to use/teach them. Things might soon change as Padi/DSAT launches its brand new Tec Rec Elearning. More info about new Tec Rec program coming very soon ...

TDI AN/DP e-learning seemed to be pro bubble model when I went through it last week. It did not mention any specific GFs when referencing Buhlmann.
I must say the TDI AN/DP e-learning was the most disappointing of theirs I've seen yet and the gas planning was perfunctory at best.

TDI AN/DP e-learning seemed to be pro bubble model when I went through it last week. It did not mention any specific GFs when referencing Buhlmann.
I must say the TDI AN/DP e-learning was the most disappointing of theirs I've seen yet and the gas planning was perfunctory at best.
I found the TDI Tec Elearning very user-friendly, modern ,... but too theoric and poor about gas planning : why don't they teach about TTS diving (only runtime diving) with many more simulations ... I hope the new Padi DSAT Tec Rec Elearning will be performant on that point

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom