She purrs like a kitten, question about my condensate collection bucket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any reason why you would do that over a larger vent in the top of the bucket?
Cause the oil mist won't have enough dwell time in the bucket to actually settle out.

A muffler (multiples) may help. But really what @formernuke needs is a larger bucket with baffles in it so the high velocity air has enough room to expand and slow down. A smaller volume of purge would make this bucket adequate, but if they can't shrink the purge volume or purge rate then use a larger receiving bucket. Or two buckets. Then the ratio of purge air to bucket volume goes way down. What you're trying to do here is take a small high velocity flow rate in the purge tubing and dial it way back to a large low velocity rate where gravity has enough time to let the mist settle out.

Cause the oil mist won't have enough dwell time in the bucket to actually settle out.

A muffler (multiples) may help. But really what @formernuke needs is a larger bucket with baffles in it so the high velocity air has enough room to expand and slow down. A smaller volume of purge would make this bucket adequate, but if they can't shrink the purge volume or purge rate then use a larger receiving bucket. Or two buckets. Then the ratio of purge air to bucket volume goes way down. What you're trying to do here is take a small high velocity flow rate in the purge tubing and dial it way back to a large low velocity rate where gravity has enough time to let the mist settle out.

Ahhh.... that makes sense. Yeah I don't have any experience with an oiled compressor. With the Rix it's just moisture so I dump on the ground.. that makes sense though.

It's a auto drain, I have no control of flow
No it's just a good example of what not to do to a compressor filter and a cause of explosive decompression of a pressure vessel.

No it's just a good example of what not to do to a compressor filter and a cause of explosive decompression of a pressure vessel.
I am not sure if I understand you right. You believe it is dangerous to play around with drain valve? Can you please explain this?

I think his point is that auto drains that vent to fast, and cause the filter tower to cycle to much... shortening the life of the filter tower....
A small amount only needs to be let out, not to drop out all the pressure... only the water...

Ah now I see. As far as I know the number of cycles is the point. At least Bauer recommendes to exchange filter housing after a certain numbers of cycels, INdependent of age.

No idea if the kind of filter decompression is a point too: fast vs. slow, decompression down to 100 bar vs. 2 bar.

Here we were talking about reducing the flow so this will keep the numbers of cycles and reduce the decompression (for ex. down to 100 bar only instead of 2 bar), seems to be the safe side.

But anyway if you can not change the autodrain - this seems so be the case - you must change anything on the bucket. Still I recommend a ballon, works great and will definitely solve the problem.

Back
Top Bottom