Shark Tooth Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CMOST

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I would like to do a beach dive for shark teeth down in Venice. I'm sure there is someone out there that knows the ideal spot to do this. What equipment you need to look for the teeth? Also are there people interested in this dive? I'm sure we can get a group together for a dive. If someone has information as to where the best spot is please let me know. Also if interested lets plan something soon.

I would like to do a beach dive for shark teeth down in Venice. I'm sure there is someone out there that knows the ideal spot to do this. What equipment you need to look for the teeth? Also are there people interested in this dive? I'm sure we can get a group together for a dive. If someone has information as to where the best spot is please let me know. Also if interested lets plan something soon.

When diving from the beach we normally park in the parking lot north of Sharky's. Swim out northwest from there. No special equipment is needed. Sometimes the teeth are laying on top of the sand and sometimes you just have to sift through it a little bit. Take your time.

My suggestion though it to contact Captain Jamie (Aristakat). For 40 bucks he takes you out for 2 tanks. Its worth the money to not have so lug all your stuff out to the beach, swim out, swim back and then do it all over again for a second tank.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/members/aristakat.html

For the $40.00 are the tanks provided? If so it sounds like an awesome deal. Most of us new divers don't own 2 tanks.

For the beach dive how far out do you swim? What is the typical depth? Just want to make sure I'm in the right spot if I do a beach dive.

For the $40.00 are the tanks provided? If so it sounds like an awesome deal. Most of us new divers don't own 2 tanks.

For the beach dive how far out do you swim? What is the typical depth? Just want to make sure I'm in the right spot if I do a beach dive.

Tanks are not provided so you will have to rent some. I don't know if Capt. Jamie has access to rental tanks so I would contact him and ask.

Diving from the beach - From my experiance you want to swim out further then the fishing pier. You will be in about 15-18 fsw. I have only done it about 3 or 4 times from the beach (2 tanks each) and we swam NW and kept heading in that direction. Im sure others that dive there regularly have better methods and locations. But once you are on the bottom it is fairly easy to find small teeth. From my experiance you dont want to be in an area that has nice clean sane. You want to be in the areas that have dark patches consisting of shells and darker colored bottom.

When you head out dont forget your flag!

Directions and info courtesy of CBulla. Be sure to read Reefguy's guide to finding teeth which is also included in the quote below. I was there a few weeks ago, but did not get to dive - thanks to Gustav.

Venice Beach
Dive Spot: Venice Beach, FL

Type of diving Shark tooth and fossil hunting in the Gulf of Mexico. This area is a prehistoric river bed and does yeild more fossils than the sharks teeth.

Type of diving: Shore dive

Directions: Google Maps
I-75 exit 200 to Osprey.
Continue Southeast on TAMIAMI TRL N/FL-45 S/US-41 S toward BAYVIEW DR. Continue to follow TAMIAMI TRL N/FL-45 S. 7.4 miles Map
Turn RIGHT onto MIAMI AVE W. <0.1 miles
Turn LEFT onto NOKOMIS AVE S. <0.1 miles
Turn RIGHT onto PONCE DE LEON AVE. 0.3 miles
Turn LEFT onto HARBOR DR S. 0.1 miles
Turn RIGHT onto ALHAMBRA RD. 0.4 miles
Follow ALHAMBRA RD to the end

What to expect at the dive site: Typical sharks teeth found are from the folloing: Dusky and Blacktip family, Sand Shark (current and prehistoric), Bull Shark, and Lemon Shark. More rare but also found are Maco, Great White, Snaggle Tooth and Megalodon. Other fossils that can be found include dolphin, manatee, and whale bones, stingray stingers and crusher platelettes and tail vertabrae, porupine fish platelettes, mammoth and mastadon teeth/tusk/vertabrae, sloth claws, alligator scales, and sabertooth teeth. Best times for hunting are a few days after a storm when the water has settled down. Depths are 16-18 feet, unless you swim a long way out then you may hit 20.

Where to park: parking is on the street: do not park blocking driveways.

Amenities Florida West dive shop is about 1 mile north of the site on 41 literally just over the bridge back onto the main land. Sharkey's resturant is at the base of the pier. Venice Beach's downtown district is 1/2 mile off with food and shops as well.

Pros and Cons When the water is clear lots of teeth can be found. When the water is a milky emerald green, there will be no visibity on the bottom and toothing is useless.

Most recent date visited: Few weeks ago

Beach Conditions Reports for Southwest Florida

Sean

Service Club Park is a good place to enter. It's between the airport and the beach. There are wooden walkways, picnic tables. bathrooms and outdoor shower. Enter straight out from the walkway and drop when you are about even with the end of the pier. 17' - 22'. Carry a mesh bag and the dive flag. If vis is bad, spool out some extra rope from the flag; one diver should hold the spool and the other the flag rope. A compass helps with any shore dive.

I'm diving Venice on Thursday the 18th. We are driving from Jacksonville, and have room for one more person. If interested, email me! We may try to use the charter. The other option is to kayak out and tow them behind us. Anyone know what the vis is currently?

Mike

Tanks are not provided so you will have to rent some. I don't know if Capt. Jamie has access to rental tanks so I would contact him and ask.

Diving from the beach - From my experiance you want to swim out further then the fishing pier. You will be in about 15-18 fsw. I have only done it about 3 or 4 times from the beach (2 tanks each) and we swam NW and kept heading in that direction. Im sure others that dive there regularly have better methods and locations. But once you are on the bottom it is fairly easy to find small teeth. From my experiance you dont want to be in an area that has nice clean sane. You want to be in the areas that have dark patches consisting of shells and darker colored bottom.

When you head out dont forget your flag!
Terry at Depth finders will rent you the tanks for the dive. Give him a call at 941-766-7565. You both can work out the details. ~~~Babe~~~

I'm diving Venice on Thursday the 18th. We are driving from Jacksonville, and have room for one more person. If interested, email me! We may try to use the charter. The other option is to kayak out and tow them behind us. Anyone know what the vis is currently?

Mike
How many of you guys are coming. I might be game as well if I know more details. ~~~Babe~~~

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom