Is there such thing as a responsible whale shark excursion?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
CrazyBirdLady
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Planning a dive trip in July 2024 to either Cancun or Cozumel. Interested in diving two days and doing the whale shark snorkel one day. As much as I’d love to experience being in the water with these gentle giants I’m concerned about the ethics of these tours. Anyone have a suggestion for a dive shop that offers both great diving (groups of 8 or less) and a responsible whale shark excursion that is focused on the welfare of the sharks? Thanks in advance.

In 2012 my wife and were on Isla Mujeres for a week. We dove several days with the Carey Dive Center, which also arranged for a day excursion to snorkel with whale sharks with a different company, the name of which I have no record. It was a terrific day, which still believe to have been handled in a responsible manner. There were a half dozen whale sharks in the general area. We had 4 "snorkelers" on the boat with the driver and the guide. Only one of us was in the water with the guide at any time. We were told to stay some distance away, but I don't remember if it was 10' or some other number. It didn't matter, as the whale sharks came very close to us on their own volition. Photo below is our guide (left) and myself close to one of the whale sharks which had just turned toward us closing the distance.
1 - 1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom