Shark Fin Soup ... bleh !!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We can argue the humanity of hunting in general, but that discussion is, in my opinion, beside the point:

the fact that shark-finning is unsustainable and will almost certainly lead to the extinction of several species if left unchecked. In discussing sustainability, however--if we want to be culturally neutral-

-we can discuss the massive consumption of energy in the United States and the impact that has on ecosystems.

For the first point, its a question of viewpoint. An asian might find the habit of killing for "sport" gross or mystifying. "You mean you are not going to eat that?? Why kill it??". It all depends upon your viewpoint.

For the second point, I agree with what you say, but the critical point is that it has to be done through education, and not "because I say so". Or because I say its cruel and unusual or wasteful.

For the last point. Indeed. Its seen as hypocritial to take the moral high ground when pointing out the ills in the rest of the world when we (collectively) have so much to answer for in our history. "Ah, but we know better now, and so are telling you what to do" is a poor argument that rightly gets rejected by most of the world.

theres nothing more vulgar with eating chicken feet, rabbit, deer, or any other animal than US farm raised chicken or beef. c'mon get a grip. people eat stuff and if you dont like it dont eat it... and if it tastes good, dont ask what it is, you might be unpleasantly surprised.

If it makes you feel at ease, it was probably fake shark fin. I doubt a "super buffet" off miramar would serve such a luxury item. It was most likely glass noodles or such.

Back when "Jaws" came out (filmed in part off my island), I made a pledge: I won't eat shark if they won't eat me. Fortunately, both parties have kept that pledge.

ryssyr... it is true that to eat, we all must kill (even vegetarians). However, farm-raised animals, deer and many other target species eaten in America are not in any danger of collapse, and even if they were, the absence of most of these species would not devastate the ecological systems. Quite the contrary, the decline of farm-raised animals would probably lead to a massive decrease in the pollution of our waters. It has been shown through a number of scientific studies that the decline in shark species is having unexpected consequences for the health of the ecosystems they were found in. That is the basis for many of us opposing shark fin soup and other practices that unsustainably deplete the numbers of these apex predators.

Dr. Bill, I dont eat shark fin or condone it.

I'm sure there is a good debate to be had on species collapse from un-managed fishing/harvesting, but the comments about foods that are enjoyed and eaten in other cultures as 'atrocities' (chicken feet, hare) is the reason I had to vent.

Big game hunting and culling is not the same as finning. We do not cut a body part off an animal and toss it away still alive.

I guess there is a difference between killing a moose/elk/bear/lion/elephant/cape buffalo/leopard/you-name-it quickly with a gun and then mount the carcass on the walls than killing a shark slowly by cutting off a fin.

I'm sure that the killed animals would appreciate the quick kill and their body parts being used as trophy.:wink:

Killing is killing and humans in general are pretty good at that. So, yes, I find it laughable when Americans get uppity as though our craps don't stink.

You are right. I have steered over to the Shark Fin Industry in general and not specific to this post. I will stop consuming space here. Apologies to the OP for sidetracking your thread.

I don't see this as a sidetrack- she asked about the popularity of Sharkfin soup and a discussion of the practice of shark fishing is a natural evolution of the conversation.

If we wait to try and make changes against atrocities until we can stand on "high moral ground" then we should all just kiss life as we know it goodbye. Nothing will ever change. Just because I am wrong doesn't make you right. That's hard to remember in an election year when that is just about all we hear for months on end.

So if we eliminate the "morality" then lets talk reality: The wholesale slaughter of sharks for a "delicacy" is wrong. It's wrong because of the devastating effect it is having on an entire species and on the ocean environment. That environment does not belong to the people who are devastating it. Period.

Expecting change based only on "educating" the people responsible is shortsighted. Look how long it takes to educate entire generations. Yes, depleting the demand will help. But until then, we need to address the supply side.

This is not a question of we as Americans dictating our belief system on the Chinese or any other group. This is us as Americans and members of the earth's population paying attention to a very harsh reality that has global consequences. The fact that it might deprive someone of a taste of something that was once (but is no longer) a specialty item is nothing but pure ego on their part.

I'm sorry, but some rural Chinese person's right to try a soup once meant only for their countries aristocracy does not overshadow the entire planets right to healthy oceans.

I agree with Mike.

If we all did our part, as small as that may be, things will change. The hardest thing to do is change a culture and many times impracticable. The fastest way is economic. Make the cost out of reach for the masses and the demand drops dramatically.

The Chinese have moved quickly up the economic ladder and now millions more can afford shark fin soup, hence the huge rise in demand. As the demand rises so does the supply and currently the price is still affordable. As the supply dwindles, either by reduced shark population plus a myriad of other economic, cultural or legislative reasons, the price will rise and demand will again slow. Lets just hope the shark population will recover.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom