Shadow Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NW Dive Dawg

SDI / TDS Solo Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I read this book back in 2005 when it first came out and it was the best book I have ever read. Just read again 17 years later and it was just as good or better than when first read.... Just sayn.......

I still can’t believe 2005 was 17 years ago 😬.
That was before the iPhone was invented. Even Facebook and Twitter weren't around.

Daddy, what was it like when you were young?

Is a very good book though.

I read this book back in 2005 when it first came out and it was the best book I have ever read. Just read again 17 years later and it was just as good or better than when first read.... Just sayn.......
I got this book as a Christmas gift in high school and loved it. This was the book that really introduced the idea of diving as the ultimate adventure in my mind. I really need to go read it again.

I was asked to crew a research vessel, the RV Beacon, to the Silver Banks with Chatterton so he could look for silver and gold. In any event, it was hard to recruit warm bodies at such short notice and the last guy was fresh out of high school, like he had graduated a few days before and had just gotten his passport. We are fueling up at Bayou la Battre, and he shows me his book. It's all dog eared and has been folded back. It's obvious he's not the first reader of this paperback. I can't remember what he said exactly, but it was obvious he hadn't connected the John Chatterton in the book to the John Chatterton on the boat. His reaction when I connected those dots for him were priceless. He kept looking at the book, up to the wheel house, back to the book and so on. He was on a boat with his new hero. I learned a lot that trip. I'm not sure they were lessons I was supposed to learn, but I had a lot of fun and got to fix things on a boat. I wasn't just a warm body after all. :D

I learned a lot that trip. I'm not sure they were lessons I was supposed to learn
One of my rules of life is, "Everyone has something to teach you, but it may not be the lesson you wanted to learn." :)

I was asked to crew a research vessel, the RV Beacon, to the Silver Banks with Chatterton so he could look for silver and gold. In any event, it was hard to recruit warm bodies at such short notice and the last guy was fresh out of high school, like he had graduated a few days before and had just gotten his passport. We are fueling up at Bayou la Battre, and he shows me his book. It's all dog eared and has been folded back. It's obvious he's not the first reader of this paperback. I can't remember what he said exactly, but it was obvious he hadn't connected the John Chatterton in the book to the John Chatterton on the boat. His reaction when I connected those dots for him were priceless. He kept looking at the book, up to the wheel house, back to the book and so on. He was on a boat with his new hero. I learned a lot that trip. I'm not sure they were lessons I was supposed to learn, but I had a lot of fun and got to fix things on a boat. I wasn't just a warm body after all. :D
That’s incredible! I can only think of one time I’ve been starstruck, that would have made a second. Easily.

That’s incredible! I can only think of one time I’ve been starstruck, that would have made a second. Easily.
I'm friends with both him and Ritchie Kohler. Both have benefitted from their stardom, but they're down-to-earth guys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom