Shadow Divers – Exposed U 869

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've read Shadow Divers a couple of times and waited to comment on this thread until I could read Gary's book. If you shift through the "Gary-isms", you pretty much end up with the view that Shadow Divers was as factual as any of the Deep Sea Detectives shows. In other words, the events were dramatized to make the dives seem more dangerous and thrilling than they were and Chatterton and Kohler did all of the important work/research. I'd guess that SD is about as accurate as any celebrity biography or travel/adventure narrative. It was a good read and certainly better edited than any Gary's books - but it would have been better for divers if it had been more factual - maybe not better for book sales, though...

I've been following this thread from the beginning...haven't had a chance to read GG's book yet. But I look at it like this, if you want an arguably more dry technical factual account with the alternate sinking theory read GG's book. If you want a more dramatized, well written, Disney "based on a true story" type of read, then SD it should be. I think the circle runner theory is just that a theory and one they made based on the available information at the time.

Personally I like all the Disney "based on a true story" movies, Invincible, The Rookie, Glory Road, yet to be release We are Marshall, etc. I know they are dramatized and have taken some liberties (some more than others) to make the movies flow better, but I like the entertainment value, I don't pick them apart, I take em for what they are.

I can't wait for the movie to come out. I wonder what sinking theory they will use in the movie or if they will just gloss over it. I could see them using the new theory though as to not piss off the military & vets or anyone else for that matter.

-Garrett

SDI/TDI has just released a new diving mad called Diving Adventure. I received a comp copy and just read it. In it, Gilliam interviews Chatterton about Shadow Divers and Chatterton relates that Kurson got it right about what happened.

TwoBit

shark.byte.usa:
If you want a more dramatized, well , Disney "based on a true story" type of read, then SD it should be.

i think you are being a bit unfair to SD

Hoyden:
In other words, the events were dramatized to make the dives seem more dangerous and thrilling than they were and Chatterton and Kohler did all of the important work/research

Let me see...Hmmm...Dives to 230fsw...On a torn to h** submarine with jagged edges, wires and cables, unstable machinery, currents, bad visibility...Plus the fact that they did the early dives on air...These guys were diving over 1.6ppO2 at those depths, not to mention the narcosis. Then there's the fact that 3 people died. I don't know about you but I would consider that PLENTY dangerous. To me...Any dive to 200 ft would be considered dangerous, even with trimix or heliox and practicing utmost safety. As far as thrilling...I guess that would be in the eyes of the one's doing the dives. It would have been plenty thrilling for me.
As to Chatterton and Kohler's doing the important work/research...simply put...They did....

rawls:
Let me see...Hmmm...Dives to 230fsw...On a torn to h** submarine with jagged edges, wires and cables, unstable machinery, currents, bad visibility...Plus the fact that they did the early dives on air...These guys were diving over 1.6ppO2 at those depths, not to mention the narcosis. Then there's the fact that 3 people died. I don't know about you but I would consider that PLENTY dangerous. To me...Any dive to 200 ft would be considered dangerous, even with trimix or heliox and practicing utmost safety. As far as thrilling...I guess that would be in the eyes of the one's doing the dives. It would have been plenty thrilling for me.
As to Chatterton and Kohler's doing all of the important work/research...simply put...They did....

Have you read Gentile's book? I read it, reread Shadow Divers and rewatched Hitler's Lost Sub (the tv documentary made before Shadow Divers). My comments regarding overdramatizing are primarily based on the description of Chatterton's penetration of the engine room and subsequent OOG experience in Shadow Divers and the events surrounding the Rouses' deaths. As far as Kohler and Chatterton doing all of the important work/reseach, well, read Gary's book or even watch Hitler's Lost Sub and get back to me on that:).

One more comment on making things seem more dangerous/dramatic than they really were - I have dived some of the east coast wrecks that they covered on Deep Sea Detectives - often from the same dive boat that DSD used - watching the episodes they aired on those wrecks was both interesting and frustrating.

Can't believe I missed this thread until now. Seems everyone I've met involved here has a big ego. Just nature of the beast. Don't you think you're best at what ya do! I really don't appreciate all the character assination though.

Hoyden:
Have you read Gentile's book? I read it, reread Shadow Divers and rewatched Hitler's Lost Sub (the tv documentary made before Shadow Divers). My comments regarding overdramatizing are primarily based on the description of Chatterton's penetration of the engine room and subsequent OOG experience in Shadow Divers and the events surrounding the Rouses' deaths. As far as Kohler and Chatterton doing all of the important work/reseach, well, read Gary's book or even watch Hitler's Lost Sub and get back to me on that:).

One more comment on making things seem more dangerous/dramatic than they really were - I have dived some of the east coast wrecks that they covered on Deep Sea Detectives - often from the same dive boat that DSD used - watching the episodes they aired on those wrecks was both interesting and frustrating.

You pick two episodes to make a characterization of an entire book? And just how do you over-dramatize a double fatality of a father and son? Maybe it would have been a ho-hum everyday experience for Gentile.

Plenty of others aided on research. Others on the boat were trying to assist in exploring and solving the mystery of the U-Who. But it was JC and RK who kept the fire burning over the years, devoting a big part of their lives (and assets) to tracing down clues, when others were ready to blow it off and move on. Instead of hiding behind generalities, tell us the name of one other person who was as involved with the project. What role did Gentile play throughout all of this?

If you want to say DSD dramatizes things, fine. I think the parameters of the U-boat dives speak for themselves.

Hoyden:
Have you read Gentile's book? I read it, reread Shadow Divers and rewatched Hitler's Lost Sub (the tv documentary made before Shadow Divers). My comments regarding overdramatizing are primarily based on the description of Chatterton's penetration of the engine room and subsequent OOG experience in Shadow Divers and the events surrounding the Rouses' deaths. As far as Kohler and Chatterton doing all of the important work/reseach, well, read Gary's book or even watch Hitler's Lost Sub and get back to me on that.

Hoyden...Haven't read the book...Own a copy of HLS. My comments were focused on the words "dangerous" and "thrilling." Had nothing to do with Gary Gentile's book. As far as the work/research...Is there a place in the Shadow Divers where they write...did "all" the work/research? Didn't catch the "all" part on the first read.

Shadow Divers Exposed, Gary Gentile

A must read for serious divers. Well written, researched, contains a lot of information, anything but "petty".

I had read Shadow Divers, watched the 'Hitler's Lost Sub' dvd several times, and then read Gentile's expose with a skeptical eye.

Verdict: Shadow Divers was a travesty. Kohler and Chatterton and exploitative authors have foisted a hoax upon a gullible public.

Shadow Divers Exposed DOES require a serious read. I couldn't put it down!

Crash go the Chariots!......err... Shadow Divers.

Back
Top Bottom