Shadow Divers – Exposed U 869

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
nah, he took a dig at Gentile. he knew what was coming down the pike. he
knew Gentile was promoting the alternate scenario

One small (nameless) jab amid a sea of calm rational discussion is a far cry from the nonstop garbage that permeates every paragraph uttered by Gentile on this subject.

purcellj:
I think most should shut the h*ll up, read the book, then comment. From what I have heard about Exposed (from someone who did read it), Gary has others tell the story.

I wish Gentile would shut the h*ll up, and let us read the book, then comment.

ReefHound:
One small (nameless) jab amid a sea of calm rational discussion is a far cry from the nonstop garbage that permeates every paragraph uttered by Gentile on this subject.

i was personally disappointed. i wish John would have raised above that pettiness, even if it does pale in comparison

H2Andy:
i was personally disappointed. i wish John would have raised above that pettiness, even if it does pale in comparison

He's only human. If it were you, how much of that GG garbage could you listen to without striking back? Unfortunately, when you are being relentlessly attacked and you make no effort to defend yourself, there are some who take that as an admission of guilt.

ReefHound:
Unfortunately, when you are being relentlessly attacked and you make no effort to defend yourself, there are some who take that as an admission of guilt.

And sometimes silence is golden...

This thread is like reading competing stories in the Star and Globe.:popcorn: Tabloid trash... Neither view changes the facts. Just let it go and neither side will thrive on the controversy.:no

thanks, Jim ... glad you could enlighten us with your wisdom

:wink:

One does have to wonder about Gary’s character. In the book “Fatal Depth” Gary is said to be doing chest compressions on a dying/dead diver and then stops to take his next dive.

Jesus, finally relented and got my hands on a copy. I wasn't present at any of the incidents I've read so far but under absurdities Gary carries on about static discharge from rescue helicopters. During a first aid course required of Seeker crew by 93 or 94 the textbook warned of the debated static discharge.He also claims the basket could not discharge to the rail on the back of the boat as it's mounted on wood. Unfortunately his superior knowledge missed that all major metal pieces on a boat are bonded(grounded, generally by a single strand wire that connects everything to a zinc block mounted in the water,) that help slow electrolysis and provides a superior ground. Also stated is wood is an insulator. In reality wood is an excellent conductor when soaked in water for a while (especially sea water). He also claims in one sentence airlifts are only" dramatic, but it is not life threatening to the participants." Then why in God's name does he immediately before this statement explain the Coast Guard require everyone involved wear life preservers !?
A few pages later under The Fatality Fallacy Gary obviously is so anal that he couldn't wrap his mind around the fact that the attacked statement " a sport that regularly kills it's young" was in reference to inexperienced divers not younger divers.
Later during an attack on the Deep Sea Detective Doria episode Gary asks "What was the purpose of hiring an expert if they did not intend to use my expertise." I guess it just never occurred to Gary it may well have been at least JC's way of sharing the spotlight. An appearance as a tip of the dive mask to your expertise! That's just my opinion based on my knowledge of John. That's certainly a condemnable act. And then you condemn Shadow Divers for painting a bad picture of diver competitiveness. Go figure.

I just finished reading Shadow Divers for the second time and loved it just as much. I can't wait for the movie to be coming out. The main point of the book is not to discover how the sub sunk, but which sub it actually was. The circle-runner theory is a viable theory just as much as any other. We can all have opinions, but Chatterton and Kohler were actually down there, not us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom