Shadow Divers – Exposed U 869

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mstudley:
Technically that's rescue breathing and not CPR. If during rescue breathing you can no longer detect a pulse then CPR is initiated.

Ugh...Technically it is the pulmonary in CPR...You are correct that rescue breathing is done when someone has a pulse but doesn't exhibit any respiratory effort. In this case I believe the elder Rouse did not have a pulse and CPR was intitiated which in that case the bagging was part of CPR...

AquaHump:
Dude, please stop. You are killing me. Not only are you wrong, but you are grossly missing the point. I refuse to enter an argument about BLS skills on a thread that is about a book. You seem to have missed the point. It is not an historical issue whether or not Jon was squeezing the BVM or doing compressions, its sour grapes. The father son team died. That is the historic point. The mistakes that lead up to there death is anther historic point.
If you want to argue BLS and ALS and ACLS lets start another thread and I can help you understand your BLS skills a little better.

uhh... look "dude" I am not wrong, I am not arguing the point in the book only what I mentioned regarding your original post. No point has been missed. Thanks, but I'm all set with getting your opinion on B/A/ACLS. You might be a paramedic in Delaware but that doesn't mean you know/understand RI protocol. Nor does it mean you're correct in any regard.

Oh, and thanks again for reminding me why I stopped posting here for awhile.

I've read a lot of Gary Gentile's books, including the two books he wrote about diving the Lusitania. He self publishes with no editor; his style is gossipy and his prose is florid. He doesn't mince words and tells his version of the unvarnished truth (the way he sees things). He seems to like a good fight and even took on NOAA for the chance to dive the Monitor. I don't see this book so much as sour grapes, but typical Gary Gentile. For all his faults, the man deserves respect because he does walk the walk and has made some bodacious dives and his knowledge of shipwrecks is extensive.

At best, it is a badly written book that may correct some errors and omissions from previous accounts. At worst, it is a hatchet job meant to destroy reputations. He does need an editor badly, although I am sure he would deny it. The book is so acrimonious as to be virutally un-readable. Everything is twisted in the worst possible light, and that is why my respect for Gentile has lowered considerably.

it's funny, but reading parts of the book made me think there's two things
Gentile needs:

1. a shrink

2. an editor

and he'd never admit to needing either, as he's 100% righteous and 100% right
(or at least that's the attitude that comes across in his words)

TheRedHead:
I've read a lot of Gary Gentile's books, including the two books he wrote about diving the Lusitania. He self publishes with no editor; his style is gossipy and his prose is florid. He doesn't mince words and tells his version of the unvarnished truth (the way he sees things). He seems to like a good fight and even took on NOAA for the chance to dive the Monitor. I don't see this book so much as sour grapes, but typical Gary Gentile. For all his faults, the man deserves respect because he does walk the walk and has made some bodacious dives and his knowledge of shipwrecks is extensive.

You may be right about that. Nobody is questioning the fact that Mr. Gentile is a great diver. That doesn't give him a get out of jail free card for being a jerk, however. And if what I've gleaned of his charater holds true, then typical Gary Gentile is sour grapes.

TheRedHead:

While I don't disagree with what you have said here, the problem is that many of the same things can be said of Chatterton and Kohler. Yet these are the guys that he is taking on over petty details and artistic license on the part of a third party author. Everything that I have read about Chatterton and Kohler says they walk the walk and have made some bodacious dives themselves. Hell...what about Chatterton penetrating third class on the Doria! But Gary's the only one embarking on a smear campaign here. That runs counter to walking the walk in my book. It is a shame to see him traveling down this path. Probably much like the shame it was for Chatterton to watch Bill Nagle go down the path he did.

I just wanted to add Gary was not going to write a book orignally but was talked into it by some big names in North Atlantic wreck diving community. The biggest thing he is trying to do is set historical facts straight and give credit were credit is due. Something that sometime does not always happen in the sport.

atedeschi:
The biggest thing he is trying to do is set historical facts straight and give credit were credit is due.

i don't mean to be contentious, but from the parts i've read, that is NOT how it's
coming across.

the book is coming across as sour grapes by a guy nitpicking at minor details and
claiming he is unmasking this huge cover-up of historical proportions... all because
his name didn't get mentioned enough in the prior book.

it's just making him look bad. that's too bad, too. Gentile is a real piece of diving
history, and an awesome diver.

OK, two cents~ Shadow Divers is an excellent book, I've really enjoyed reading it, but it didn't teach me s____. (I also enjoy Grisham, King, some others) I think there is a possible (or published) rivalry with the people being discussed (something like some dive shops I frequent). That said, when I would like to understand the methods and practices of diving I have several books authored by Gary Gentile, very well written, comprehensive, descriptive books that help direct where I would like to go. Reading SD illustrated how these methods/practices were used to Identify an awesome wreck (the holy grail), and honestly, how it affected two men. Obviously, there were other people involved in the work (teamwork) required to get the job done. I have not read Mr. Gentiles book, I intend to because I get the impression that there is a community of excellent divers on the east coast and I'm interested in all the opinions and actions, not just Gary's, or JC or Richie K. I believe from reading Gary's books that he is a stickler for accuracy and that he likes the idea that all aspects are examined. What a concept. I'll thank JC and RK for inspiration, I'll thank GG for education (and inspiration). Motivation and method seem to be two pretty important attributes to accomplish what you set out to do. I haven't met any of these people, I can get what I need from Gary by reading his books and further discussion with other divers I respect, as for RK or JC I'm really not willing to spend $175 to have a dive and question and answer session with them. I don't have any animosity towards any of them, I don't know them to form an opinion or impression, but I think it's important to point out that Gary has given back to the dive community through education, at a better, more practical price. Maybe I'm wrong, set me straight, where can I find a book on diving education from JC or RK?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom