SFO to CZM airfare out of sight!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is something interesting I just noticed this morning.. here are two screen shots I took this morning checking the new United for a trip to Cozumel. As you can see from the first screen shot they normally have just a couple rows of the BLUE upgradeable "extra charge-extra legroom" seats (usually between $35 and $70.00 per seat), this is the leg from Phoenix to Houston. On the second screen shot, Houston to Cozumel they have increased that to 8 rows to squeeze even more money out of passengers. Of course this is optional, that is unless there aren't many regular seats available.

In all the time I have been checking trips on the same Phoenix to Cozumel (through IAH) I have never seen this before, it popped out like, wow, this looks different.

screen1.png

--
screen2.png

Just as an FYI, if there are no "free" seats available when you book or you don't choose a seat when booking and there are no "free" ones when you get to the airport, they will assign you an "extra cost" one, and you don't have to pay for it. This happened to me last week on a flight booked last minute. No mention of paying, just a boarding pass with the "premium" seat assignment on it.

Here is something interesting I just noticed this morning.. here are two screen shots I took this morning checking the new United for a trip to Cozumel. As you can see from the first screen shot they normally have just a couple rows of the BLUE upgradeable "extra charge-extra legroom" seats (usually between $35 and $70.00 per seat), this is the leg from Phoenix to Houston. On the second screen shot, Houston to Cozumel they have increased that to 8 rows to squeeze even more money out of passengers. Of course this is optional, that is unless there aren't many regular seats available.

In all the time I have been checking trips on the same Phoenix to Cozumel (through IAH) I have never seen this before, it popped out like, wow, this looks different.

screen1.png

--
screen2.png

Isn't what you're pointing out because the 2nd flight is an international one and the first flight is a domestic one?

I was going to hop a flite to COZ two weeks ago before issues arose. Round trip from Ottawa, Canada $325 and that included all fees. Trouble was the wife had to go to NC to help with the daughters wedding(Darn kids). When I look for flights I will include all airports within a 4 hours drive. Hey you can sometimes save a ton by just driving a little. Good Luck

Isn't what you're pointing out because the 2nd flight is an international one and the first flight is a domestic one?

What I am pointing out is that (international or not) this is the FIRST time I have EVER seen more than a couple rows of added leg room seats (pay extra for) on ANY trip I have tried to book or have taken to Cozumel on Continental.. EVER. Now all of a sudden they are offering 8 rows on a smaller plane where they only offer 2 rows on the larger plane. Has nothing to do with international because it has always been an international flight but they have never done it before and, it is still just a 2 hour flight.

As ScubaWife pointed out after I posted the screen shots..

With the UA "economy plus" being adopted into this new airline it also cut out a good chunk of economy seats on many flights. The upgrade to those seats for the 5" more legroom varies too. I've seen anywhere from $15 to $75, depending on the flights.

So this is a carry over from UA.. and a way to generate more income since they are removing regular coach seats on simple 2 hour flight.

I also saw an article the other day where they are in the process of upgrading all their planes with "added" overhead storage bins.. quote "because people are carrying on more bags because of the bag check fees". How long do you think it will be before they start charging extra (to everyone) for carrying your bags on the plane. I would be willing to bet it won't be long as I'm sure they aren't just feeling sorry for the passengers.

I also saw an article the other day where they are in the process of upgrading all their planes with "added" overhead storage bins.. quote "because people are carrying on more bags because of the bag check fees". How long do you think it will be before they start charging extra (to everyone) for carrying your bags on the plane. I would be willing to bet it won't be long as I'm sure they aren't just feeling sorry for the passengers.

So far the US airlines have been extremely good about carry on. Almost every international airline has weight limits on carry on bags (in a lot of cases it's less than your laptop and chargers). Try getting on a Cathay Pacific flight with your dive computer, can light and regulators. Not gonna happen.

Air travel is getting more expensive. The airlines reward frequent fliers and those who don't buy discount tickets. If you shop based on price, you'll continue to get nickel and dimed to death.

I was going to hop a flite to COZ two weeks ago before issues arose. Round trip from Ottawa, Canada $325 and that included all fees. Trouble was the wife had to go to NC to help with the daughters wedding(Darn kids). When I look for flights I will include all airports within a 4 hours drive. Hey you can sometimes save a ton by just driving a little. Good Luck
Four hours, ugg! Some people here will drive 6 hours to DFW and fly out, but not me. The return drive after flying is too dangerous too. I'm 1.5 hours from Lubbock or 2 from Amarillo since I drive slow, and that's as far as I look.

I had expected to easily find a round-trip saver coach flight from LAX or ONT to CZM for our April trip, especially since my dates were somewhat flexible. Instead of the normal ONT/LAX to IAH to CZM, I got all sorts of unacceptable options involving three or more legs or cross-countries to Charlotte on US Air (I'd rather eat my toes than endure US Air coach cross-country). First-class "saver" is about the same mileage price as the "easy" rate for coach and after about 2 hours of searching, I finally found first-class saver seats for two that only involved an overnight at IAH on the way there and a 6:45 layover on the way back. At least now I can lug my 65-lb camera without paying $200 additional.

The only good I figured would come out of the merger was the possibility of using my CO miles to fly on Singapore Air, but apparently that's not an option. When I checked for flights to Bali in August, flight options were even more dismal than trying to get to CZM, with the Singapore option non-existent, so I guess we're not hitting Bali this year :(

Being that we're only about 45 min from EWR, a Continental hub, we've flown them almost exclusively for about 15 yrs now. When we weren't flying CO we were on UA (usually for destinations CO didn't serve, or UA had more choices). We also use CO & UA credit cards for just about everything and between travel and the card we end up with lots of miles. UA has always been mediocre with using the miles, but with CO it used to be that we would buy a cheap fare... like under $300pp rt... and use miles to upgrade. Since the merger the fees to use miles to upgrade are insane to most destinations. When I've checked it seems like the fee can be half or more of the fare. Insane. And of course it's gotten a lot harder to get the saver miles (30K each way for first/business). With the UA "economy plus" being adopted into this new airline it also cut out a good chunk of economy seats on many flights. The upgrade to those seats for the 5" more legroom varies too. I've seen anywhere from $15 to $75, depending on the flights.

Overall, they took everything good from CO and replaced it with everything that stunk from UA. Charges for everything, higher fares, harder to use miles, etc., etc.

Definitely sticker shock fare shopping for CZM or CUN, or anywhere in the Caribbean these days. The occasional times we had to pay $400-425 I used to complain. No it looks like $600+ is going to be the norm. It's going to be a lot of time wasted ticket shopping, playing with dates, times, connections, etc., to get reasonable fares. I'm just glad we usually have some flexibility and aren't held to any specific vacation days. The problem you run into shopping flights though is that if you don't book right when you see it, it might not be there when you go back even 10 minutes later. Ended up spending almost $100 more a person on a trip in Oct that way. Only 20 minutes and it was gone.

Four hours, ugg! Some people here will drive 6 hours to DFW and fly out, but not me. The return drive after flying is too dangerous too. I'm 1.5 hours from Lubbock or 2 from Amarillo since I drive slow, and that's as far as I look.
Will usually cash in some points and stay the nite for free. Gives me a chance to go to a decent restaurant and unwind. Where I live good eats are few and far between. Hell Don I don't like driving 20 minutes to DFW, but when I was working in Addison and Carrollton it was the best fares and rental car rates. Up here SYR is a joke for flights and connections to the real world. I prefer ALB, BUF, ROC, PLB, and YOW. But I do have to admit I have upon occasion caught some decent fares in SYR.

What I am pointing out is that (international or not) this is the FIRST time I have EVER seen more than a couple rows of added leg room seats (pay extra for) on ANY trip I have tried to book or have taken to Cozumel on Continental.. EVER. Now all of a sudden they are offering 8 rows on a smaller plane where they only offer 2 rows on the larger plane. Has nothing to do with international because it has always been an international flight but they have never done it before and, it is still just a 2 hour flight.

As ScubaWife pointed out after I posted the screen shots..

So this is a carry over from UA.. and a way to generate more income since they are removing regular coach seats on simple 2 hour flight.

You might see the return of the pay toilet some time soon also, as long as consumers stay as stupid as they are thinking all that matters is the ticket price and not the total price.

The bottom line is a business to stay in business is going to get $XYZ from it's product. It might move one of the X shells and put the pea under the Y shell, or make Z free while X doubles in cost, but no matter what, if a business is going to stay in business it has to get what it takes to do so. The airlines have mastered the shell game because consumers created it.

The $200, $300, $400 fares were not reality, they were an exception, nobody is going to keep multi-million dollar products flying in the air everyday and lose money forever, not to mention running a business in one of the heaviest regulated industries on the planet. Those fares are gone, the reality is what we are seeing today, and I don't see those fares ever coming back, and quite honestly, I really wish they never came about in the first place. The entire shell game being played now sucks, but it's retarded consumers thinking being able to fly for $199 is reality and some kind of God given consumer right they should have. When it costs you less to fly then the gas money to drive somewhere, it's time to scratch your head and start wondering what's going on, maybe a $300 ticket is one hell of a deal, like winning the lottery and not the norm. $600-$700 tickets are the norm and those cheap flights were something we can all tell our grand kids about. be glad you took advantage of them, but anybody thinking they were going to last forever was naive. Airlines are going to make a profit or they will go out of business. Maybe the government can take over the airlines and we can have Amtrack Airways! Nothing will arrive on time, you'll miss every other connection when you fly, your baggage will disappear, there will be 15 stewardesses on each flight and none of them will be qualified to use a bottle opener, planes will fall out of the sky on a regular basis, but tickets will be a flat $200. They will be $200 at least for a little while. In 10 years the same ticket will cost you $2000 and the government will be infusing their airline with 500 billion dollars in Congress appropriated tax money to keep it running.

Or it's free enterprise, and we all need to get used to paying what it really costs to fly somewhere.

But until it all gets cleaned out and the airlines go back to doing business as they should, get used to pay toilets and pay lockers for your bags, a self-service section under the plane in one cargo hold where you climb in and retreve your own bags from the belly of the plane and a cut rate section with no seats where you stand and hold onto a strap. Sad thing is if the airlines offered any of that, there would be consumers to do it as long as the ticket was $10 cheaper.

Airfare from Chicago to Coz has also increased. I have found better prices on the web Tues. or Wed. Going to Florida instead of Coz next month. Sat. prices nonstop on AA over $1200. Tues. they were $667 for the same flight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom