Airfare gurus, help a brother out? SFO to CZM in September

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have not checked out American, which travels out of Dallas/Ft. Worth.
They are obscene to suggest an itinerary that leaves you in DFW for 22 hours! This looks sweet tho. Wish I could do that...!!

phxcun.jpg

As best as I can tell during the ‘Off’ (Hurricane) season, which varies per airline but with American it is from the last week of August thru to the last week of November. United is only offering 1 flight (Flt 1554 departing at 08:41 and arriving at 11:01) per week out of IAH and it is on Saturday, they have a red-eye out of SFO that leaves at 00:23 and only has a 2 ½ Hr. layover in IAH. American offers daily out of DFW (Flt 367 departing at 10:10 arriving at 12:45) except for Tuesday and Wednesday. AA also runs a red-eye out of SFO to DFW, flight 2466 at 00:15 and links to Flt 367.
The only other US carrier that I see flying during the OFF season is Delta out of ATL and it is flight 683 at 10:55 and only fly’s on Saturdays. Frontier and US Air do not appear to operate any flights during the 'OFF' season.
Each airline turns their plane around and heads back about an hour later. Personally I prefer AA as I have flight benefits with them and it is 3 ½ hours from my door to exiting customs in Cozumel.

I'm going SFO-CUN Sept 2 - 26. Prices were staying in the low $500's all spring. I booked my tix 6 weeks ago when the price magically dropped to $425. I'm also flying the red-eye into Cancun. Usually going into CZM is way more $$ + I've grown to like staying in Playa for a night or 2 and then coming over. It's become my routine. However, I looked at Kayak after reading your post and found this for SFO-CZM @ $541... that's good! I was looking at my dates, so YMMV. There is no easy way from SFO... I've found the red-eye works better for me than the early AM flights. I never get any sleep going early because I'm too hyped up to sleep the night before and then one has to get up in the middle of the night to get to the airport (2 hrs by bus from Sonoma) & then be there 2+ hrs before the flight.

$541 = American Airlines (via Kayak 9/2-26)

SFO 12:15a > CZM 12:45p 10h 30m 1 stop (DFW)

CZM 1:45p > SFO 10:20p 10h 35m 1 stop (DFW)

Try Cancun,

The "bag drag" is not that bad and there is NO danger.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

The "bag drag" is not that bad and there is NO danger.
That all depends on how much gear one is dragging. With my camera case, there's always the danger of getting a hernia :)

American is not flying every day in Sept from Dallas to Cozumel. I just received a flight confirmation from SFO To Dallas with my continued flight to Coz missing and no return fly from CZM. Huh? So far i know they don't fly to/from CZM Tues and Wed. I had to change dates for both flights. CUN seems to be ok every day.
Phone waiting time for changes ended up to be over an hr. Yikes..

I don't see the problem. Good fares almost every day, but you did not give enough info on preferences to look deeper...

View attachment 156250

Don - you didn't give any details on this. What airline - it can't be United - because they are only flying in here on Saturdays in September!

Don - you didn't give any details on this. What airline - it can't be United - because they are only flying in here on Saturdays in September!
Well, no. I'd like to help JJ, but as I said, s/he did not give enough information for me to dig deeper. (I never know if I am talking to Jay or Joan? :confused: S/he could be on my FB friends under a different name, but it's hard to keep folks straight without names and faces. Most of my FACEbook friends don't even use faces. :idk: Ok, I don't either on FB at the moment but that's temporary. :silly:)

But okay, I did not dig into ever possible day in September, but I did go thru the middle week - even tho I have no idea what JJ's actual needs are.

Starting from a fresh month long search, restricting to one-stop iteneraries only, but allowing overnight plans since the red-eyes work best from the west coast, then focusing on that week...
0.jpg

On each day, I limited again to one-stop only as it will try to change back:1.png

Then, limit travel time to 16 hours each way to avoid the absurd layovers, and I find this limits enough to keep to the reasonable plans...
2.png

I end up with these multiple choices depending on which days JJ really will travel, mostly under 12 hours each way itineraries, with fairly reasonable round trip fares includes taxes & fees of $538 to $731, most of them actually less than $600.
3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg

I did reject one outcome tho. For this much money, I'd want a private jet...! :eek:

9.jpg

So that's 5 out of 7 days in the week that reasonable fares & itineraries are available. I bet we could find similar outcomes for JJ's actual needs, whatever they are...?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom