SFLDiver3445 Trip Report W/ Pics: Diving In Miami & Pompano Beach, FL: 7/19th & 20th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SFLDiver3445

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
This weekend was a nice weekend for diving, as the seas were calm and the water is warm. The visibility was not spectular, but I'm not complaining, because we have it pretty good here in South Florida.

On Saturday, I joined a few of my regular rebreather diving buddies and we headed down to Miami and dove with RJ Diving Ventures (RJ Diving Ventures - The Best Wreck and Reef Diving in Miami) out of Miami. On the first dive, we dove the Wreck of the Tacoma, which sits in approximately 135 feet of water, and on the second dive, we dove the Belcher Wreck Trek, which consists of several barges and tugs in approximately 65 feet of water.

On Saturday evening, we met up for dinner with Joe Cocozza from Pod Diver Radio (poddiver.net). Joe regularly records shows pertaining to the wonderful world of diving and recently got certified on his new Evolution Rebreather, so he decided to come down to South Florida and speak with us Florida S.C.R.U.B.'s divers, because we are well known for being an active group of rebreather divers. At dinner, Joe recorded our conversation for a future episode on Pod Diver Radio.

On Sunday morning, we dove in Pompano Beach aboard the Avid Diver (http://www.aviddivercharters.com/). Joe Cocozza joined us on this trip and we dove the wreck of the Jim Atria, which sits in approximately 130 feet of water, then we drifted a Pompano Beach reef in approximately 45 to 60 feet of water.

We had some great dives, and even though the visibility was only about 40 to 45 feet max on the dives, as usual, I had my point and shoot camera on hand, so I could bring some photos to everyone on Scubaboard that wasn't with us on the dives.

Here's a few shots of us diving on the Wreck of the Tacoma on Saturday morning's first dive.

Diver_on_the_Wreck_of_the_Tacoma_09-19-2008_-_Resized.jpg

Tacoma_-_Belcher_09-19-2008_068a_-_Resized.jpg

Tacoma_-_Belcher_09-19-2008_063_-_Resized.jpg

Here's a few shots I took on Saturday morning's second dive - The Belcher Wreck Trek was a lot of fun!

Divers_on_the_Belcher_Barge_09-19-2008_-_Resized.jpg

Belzona_Tug_09-19-2008_-_Resized.jpg

Wreck_of_the_Belzona_Tug_09-19-2008_-_Resized.jpg

Divers_on_the_Belcher_Barge_09-19-2008_-_2_-_Resized.jpg

Here's a couple of pictures from Saturday evening's dinner with Joe from Pod Diver Radio.

Jim_Atria_and_Pompano_Reef_07-20-2008_-_Topside_003.jpg

Jim_Atria_and_Pompano_Reef_07-20-2008_-_Topside_005.jpg

Part two continued on next post...

Continued from previous post.

Here's a few pictures we took on the dock in Pompano Beach on Sunday morning while we were waiting for the Avid Diver to arrive.

Here's Joe arriving in the Pod Diver Radio Van.

Jim_Atria_and_Pompano_Reef_07-20-2008_-_Topside_007.jpg

Here's mempilot and Padipro arriving at the dock.

Jim_Atria_and_Pompano_Reef_07-20-2008_-_Topside_019.jpg

Here's netmage.

Jim_Atria_and_Pompano_Reef_07-20-2008_-_Topside_013.jpg

Here's Monkey loading his Meg Rebreather onboard.

Jim_Atria_and_Pompano_Reef_07-20-2008_-_Topside_047.jpg

Here's a shot Padipro took of me standing on the dock with my little point and shoot camera.

Jim_Atria_and_Pompano_Reef_07-20-2008_-_Topside_030.jpg

Here's a couple of shots of the Avid Diver.

Jim_Atria_and_Pompano_Reef_07-20-2008_-_Topside_038.jpg

Jim_Atria_and_Pompano_Reef_07-20-2008_-_Topside_043.jpg

Here's a few underwater shots I took underwater on the first dive on the Wreck of the Jim Atria.

Jim_Atria_and_Pompano_Reef_07-20-2008_001.jpg

Jim_Atria_and_Pompano_Reef_07-20-2008_006.jpg

Jim_Atria_and_Pompano_Reef_07-20-2008_016.jpg

Jim_Atria_and_Pompano_Reef_07-20-2008_011.jpg

Jim_Atria_and_Pompano_Reef_07-20-2008_021.jpg

Part three continued on next post...

Continued from previous post.

Here's a few more shots from Sunday morning's first dive on the Jim Atria.

Jim_Atria_and_Pompano_Reef_07-20-2008_010.jpg

Jim_Atria_and_Pompano_Reef_07-20-2008_018.jpg

Jim_Atria_and_Pompano_Reef_07-20-2008_036.jpg

Here's a few shots of netmage with his video camera.

Jim_Atria_and_Pompano_Reef_07-20-2008_047.jpg

Jim_Atria_and_Pompano_Reef_07-20-2008_038.jpg

Here's a few shots of the ascent, which includes shots of mempilot dealing with the anchor and our deco stops.

Jim_Atria_and_Pompano_Reef_07-20-2008_048.jpg

Jim_Atria_and_Pompano_Reef_07-20-2008_052.jpg

Jim_Atria_and_Pompano_Reef_07-20-2008_050.jpg

Jim_Atria_and_Pompano_Reef_07-20-2008_058.jpg

Here's a couple of black and white shots from the deco hang.

Jim_Atria_and_Pompano_Reef_07-20-2008_068.jpg

Jim_Atria_and_Pompano_Reef_07-20-2008_065.jpg

Here's a few shots from our second dive.

Jim_Atria_and_Pompano_Reef_07-20-2008_083.jpg

Jim_Atria_and_Pompano_Reef_07-20-2008_103.jpg

Jim_Atria_and_Pompano_Reef_07-20-2008_089.jpg

And finally, and of course most importantly, lunch at Crabby Jack's after the dive!

Jim_Atria_and_Pompano_Reef_07-20-2008_-_Topside_054.jpg

Enjoy!

Adrian

Nice report and pics Adrian (as always), thanks for sharing.

Thanks Brian - Glad you enjoyed the pics.

It really was a great weekend, as is usually the case when I spend time diving in South Florida with my regular rebreather diving buddies (a.k.a. Rebreather World Florida S.C.R.U.B.'s)!

Once again WOW, those are some fine pictures! I appreciate the post.

thanks again,
Mike

Thanks Mike!

I do enjoy the underwater photography thing, however, if I can share some nice diving with my friends, take some pictures and use those pictures to show my fellow Scubaboarder friends some images of the great diving we experience here in South Florida, then it's a win/win for everyone!

Thanks Brian - Glad you enjoyed the pics.

It really was a great weekend, as is usually the case when I spend time diving in South Florida with my regular rebreather diving buddies (a.k.a. Rebreather World Florida S.C.R.U.B.'s)!

It would seem there was an OC interloper amongst the CCRs :rofl3:

It would seem there was an OC interloper amongst the CCRs :rofl3:

Yep, our good buddy Timmy had the nerve to show up with open circuit gear for our dives!:shakehead:

Now please, don't misunderstand my comment, because I/we have absolutely no problem diving with open circuit divers, however, since most of you reading this post may not be insiders to the South Florida rebreather diving world, I'll explain.

In South Florida, the majority of rebreathers being used are either Dive Rite Optimas or Innerspace Systems Megalodons. As a result of that, even though we are all part of one big rebreather diving family, we also have an ongoing friendly rivalry between the Optimas and the Megs, which tends to result in lots of cheap shots being taken about the design, quality and mindset applied in the use of each other's particular brand of rebreather.

Therefore, when Tim makes the decision to show up at a dive with open circuit gear, and futhermore, publicly admits that his Meg Rebreather had to be sent all the way back to Seattle to the Meg Mothership for repairs, especially when the trip consists exclusively of rebreather divers and two Optima divers, it's like pouring gasoline on the fire that generates the energy that powers the rivalry between both parties!

:bigun2::deadhorse::fishslap::letsparty::chair:

Tim should have done the smart thing and simply stayed at home, or at least lied and told us his rebreather was stolen from his car!

:rofl3::shakehead:We love Timmy, but what the hell was he thinking!:shakehead::rofl3:

:D!That's what he gets for buying a Meg, instead of an Optima!:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom