Sexism?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in Egypt, and while there might be sexism in diving; it's less than the sexism in male-dominated Egyptian society as a whole.

I live in Australia, and dive all over the world. Usually travel alone because my partner can't dive due to asthma - he only comes if there's enough to occupy him topside. I've had so many unsolicited come on's from other divers and dive crew that I've lost count. I've had a sleazy divemaster try and grope me. I routinely get the condescending "oh, that's such a big camera for such a little girl". Or guys who think I'm apparently incapable of setting up my own gear (an o-ring missing on a tank, I ask the DM on the day trip boat for a spare, and get "do you even know what an o-ring is?" by one of the other guys on the boat). I've been on a liveaboard where my male dive buddy (insta-buddy) tried to treat me like I was his housemaid.

Admittedly it's a very small proportion of people with this attitude, but it's naive to pretend it doesn't exist. Sure, the majority of divers I do meet are guys, but at the end of the day, I don't think the sexism is any more prevalent in diving than it is in general. Honestly, I cop more at work than I do diving.

I'm 61 years old, raised in the US. I open doors for women/girls of all ages, If they wish to pass, fine, if they defer, I go. I would offer any woman or man on a dive boat assistance if they appear they might need it. If they accept, fine, if not, I leave it alone.

Question for women divers -- do you find a similar problem with gear choices appropriate for women regarding size, fit, etc. And if so, would you attribute that to sexism or "merely market forces?"[/QUOTE]

I dive CCR - It took me ages to find one that I could 'modify' its standard set up enough so that it is what we like to refer to as 'chick' size. I'm a strong girl, but I'm small so I really didn't want to carry the weight of most of them and it took a bit of thinking and creativity. I'm now waiting on a specific side mount harness that has been released in a large size, but not yet in a small. Its not sexism - its market forces. The overwhelming majority of CCR /technical divers have been men to date.

On other elements of the sexism debate…..I love it that my male friends will always help me because I am smaller and not as strong as them. If I look like I need a hand lifting gear, they'll offer and I'll admit when I need help. I've had them wait for me on beach to ensure that I managed to get over a particularly large sand heap with waves crashing cause I've got short legs (and once or twice they've pulled me up from being face first in the sand with 35 kg of breather on my back). They've carried the extra 02 tank for additional in particularly long deco dives with no boat support (i'm already carrying my own two bailout tanks - they've just got 3). They do all this cause they are bigger and stronger, not because they think less of me because I'm a female.

And personally, given I am often the only girl on the boat, I sometimes wish they would be a little sexist in the conversations that are had. (I could really do with not hearing bout what happened in they bed (dreams, or likely) last night!!!

Gosh, I almost hate to say this, but I think that a large percentage of divers are beyond the age that "sexism" is such an issue. Ok, I'll speak only for myself so that nobody gets their knickers in a bunch. I am 54 years old and have been diving for 5 years, have logged 120+ dives, been diving in the midwest US, Florida and several spots in the Caribbean. I've never experienced anything that I would refer to as "sexism". Ageism is a different story (in Jamaica, being told the last two spots on a glass-bottom boat were taken and then, when a cute teenage girl in a bikini walked up after me there were suddenly two vacancies!). But that's not what you're asking about. I'm of an age that if a man offers to help me I graciously accept his offer and don't think about the idea that he may have just insulted me. My 23 year old daughter would have a hissy fit and insist that she can not only carry HER tanks but she can carry HIS TOO! So ... it might make sense, since what I have read is that the diving population is an aging one, to look at this from different age perspectives.

I'm of an age that if a man offers to help me I graciously accept his offer and don't think about the idea that he may have just insulted me. My 23 year old daughter would have a hissy fit and insist that she can not only carry HER tanks but she can carry HIS TOO!

I'd say that if that offer was given after noticing that you're female, I'd interpret it as sexism. If it was given after seeing your size and that you were struggling more than usual, irrespective of gender, not sexism but mateship.

The way the offer was given would also give an indication of how it was intended.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

I'd say that if that offer was given after noticing that you're female, I'd interpret it as sexism. If it was given after seeing your size and that you were struggling more than usual, irrespective of gender, not sexism but mateship.

The way the offer was given would also give an indication of how it was intended.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug
I think this sums it up beautifully.

If someone *assumes* I can't do something because I'm female, I'll think them sexist. If someone offers me help because they *see* I can't lift the gear or suspect I can't because they see my size, I'll thank them (happens often!)

The only sexism I've experienced so far is not having women specific gear to rent/let. I had to buy a mask just to get one that would fit my face as all the rentals were too big and wouldn't seal properly. I still don't own a wet suit, so I have to fit myself into men's wet suits when renting as the places I've dived in the past have not offered women's wet suits for let. The only times I've had men offering to help my newbie arse was when I was struggling with waves, fins, and shore diving. I was grateful for the tow at that point!

About Sexism and Scuba Diving Equipment:

Recently, some Scuba Diving Equipment companies have made wetsuits with Pink flowers for women. They are meant to fit better on womens' bodies.

Now, I don't mind wearing a pink wetsuit with flowers. But I know that some other women will feel like that it's unfair that the ONLY available wetsuit for women is pink and full of flowers.

I do think that other divers (male and female) may not take me as seriously if I wear a Pink flowery wetsuit.

Down Under Scuba - Scuba Dive bookings in Malaysia
Cheap Scuba Diving. Luxury Scuba diving. Sort by Location and Price.

Recently, some Scuba Diving Equipment companies have made wetsuits with Pink flowers for women. They are meant to fit better on womens' bodies.

Now, I don't mind wearing a pink wetsuit with flowers. But I know that some other women will feel like that it's unfair that the ONLY available wetsuit for women is pink and full of flowers.

I do think that other divers (male and female) may not take me as seriously if I wear a Pink flowery wetsuit.

I don't think it is fair to call it sexist. The reason dive companies make pink scuba gear is because woman want it. If you don't like the pattern then buy something else. Many companies make female wetsuits without flowers. Why do you care what other divers think? If you like flowers go for it, if not buy something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom