Setup DIR harness, Fred T, or home mail?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CanyonDiver

Registered
Reaction score
I currently dive with a transpac II , 20-24#s of lead, Dry suit, single 95s, 72s, AL80s.
I'm either going to go with the Halcyon ,or Fred T heavy & short BP. I prefer integrated weight BCDs.
How should I set up my future rig?
The FredT harness runs $40 is that a good price?

From what I have seen (and someone correct me if wrong) Fred sends the length of webbing and then you cut it. I think this would be easy enough except for the crotch strap which mandates some sewing. I am not sure which webbing Fred sends, the Halcyon webbing is very thick, not the standard stuff I have seen in most scuba shops.

Overall, I went with the Halcyon premade as I have a history of trying to do it myself on the cheap and screwing it up and then buying the other, so ..... that's my history. After using the bp a bit and understanding more about them, I would consider making my own stuff though.

You can buy the premade crotch strap only from EE and others and I am sure.

Of the weight integration I have seen Halcyon does it the best, very high quality stuff, I prefer the belt over all though if I had that much lead I may be different, I usually just carry 10 lbs at the most.

You may want to check into the book DIR Fundamentals just put out by the GUE folks.

Tommy

Here's what I would do:

1. Get the heaviest BP Fred has.
2. Buy the webbing/hardware package from him -- that's a good price if it includes the webbing, SS hardware, buckle, etc.
3. I like the Halcyon crotch strap, but I wouldn't spend $30+ for it. If I couldn't make it (you can if you have a grommet tool), then I would make my own as shown below.
4. Get a 55lb (maybe 45lb depending on which tanks you are going to double up) Halcyon wing from the cheapest supplier I could find -- shown below. You'll want to double up that LP95 someday (even if you don't know it yet :wink:), so I would get the 55lb wing and use it for everything -- unless I could afford to buy a 27lb wing as well for singles. If you're on a budget, get the 55lb wing and just use it for everything now and get the 27lb wing down the road.
5. If you're diving singles, get the heaviest STA Fred sells.
6. I would/do use a V-weight for doubles so I don't need a weight belt. For singles (LP95), I use a weight belt. If money isn't an object, you can double up on BP's and STA's I believe.

Check these links out:

http://www.cisatlantic.com/trimix/CS/cstech.htm -- Home made crotch strap.

http://h2oadventuregear.com/ -- Good place to comparison shop.

http://gue.com/equipment/backplate6.html -- diagram of rigging your harness.

http://www.gasdiving.co.uk/pages/misc/kit/harness_2.htm -- Detailed instructions on how to rig your harness.

http://www.cisatlantic.com/trimix/vweight/finalprod.htm -- How to make a V-weight. If you have the stuff and inclination, you can make a V-weight, or you can buy one from H2O Adventure Gear (easier).

Let me know if you need anything else.

Mike

$40 is worth it to avoid having to track down the pieces parts.

I don't know what FredT does for the crostch strap, but I threw together my backplate for the Mexico caves just before I went down there and I made my crotch strap out of 1.5" webbing and two evyl plastic (please forgive me, LY!) triglides and it worked just fine.

I wouldn't scooter with it!

Since ANYTHING would be an improvement over that setup, whatever FredT's shipping for a crotch strap will probably be just fine. Again, as long as you're not scootering.

Roak

Thanks a bunch!
As usual I ended up with a ton of usefull info. V and P weights
sound great. I think ill end up making my own harness and going with the Fred T heavy version.

I recently had the opportunity to examine a Fred T plate side by side with my Halcyon. It is a really good piece of equipment. And the finish on it is the best I have seen. All the holes and slots have been deburred, beveled and there are no rough edges on the slots.
And at $40.00..............what a bargin!

I am fixin to order another plate and it will be a Fred T.

ID

I'm looking at buying my first backplate. Does FredT have a website? I tried various search engines, but couldn't find one. I'm a Navy Parachute Rigger so I'll make my own harness/crotch strap, I just need to come up with a BP. Thanks!

Lost Yooper was right on.

Only one difference I would do. If I was using single tanks now I'd get a 27lb halcyon or a 36lb Halcyon single tank pioneer wing.

When you go to doubles buy a 55lb Halcyon explorer wing. You might decide to dive doubles and you might not. But those little wings are alot more trim and you'll appreciate it more.

Now don't try to dive all that weight with a wetsuit though. If you're planning on that you might want a AL plate instead.

I have the FredT backplate and Halcyon and DiveRite. The FredT will take a little filing and grinding to make the edges smooth unless you pay him extra to do it. My Halcyon came already smoothed. But I got my FredT LINE X coated and it's sweet. I use it more than any other backplate. I got the Heavy and I dive dry. For Coz I used the AL FredT and a 27lb wing. Packs sweet.

If you're planning on diving singles for a year or more before you go to doubles get the smaller wing. If you're planning to dive primarely duals get the 55lb Halcyon.

What wing is on your transpac2? If it's a rec you could use it for Dual tanks. Even a trek works well with duals. I have the trek wing on my Transpac 2. That way you could buy a wing for singles since you already have one for duals.

Originally posted by RobTheRigger
I'm looking at buying my first backplate. Does FredT have a website? I tried various search engines, but couldn't find one. I'm a Navy Parachute Rigger so I'll make my own harness/crotch strap, I just need to come up with a BP. Thanks!

Rob, you can find FredT's stuff HERE

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom